Mitsubishi WD 65000 Rear Projection

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

True high definition multimedia requires a large, precise display, the smart circuitry to drive it and an assortment of inputs for a wide variety of sources. To that end Mitsubishi developed the WD-65000. Mitsubishi selected DLP Technology, one of the most significant advances in projection TV displays since the introduction of the CRT. DLP Technology has the impressive ability to display both television pictures and computer images with a level of detail, color and clarity that has never before been offered for the home theater.

Submitted by mish_mish a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very well put together TV, typical for Mitsubishi big screen. Very nice on screen menu design.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by bobwal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had this DLP for over 8 mo with great results. The Winter Olympics were awsome in HD and progressive dvd looks very good depending on quality of dvd copy. This television does not handle poor quality video sources very well, which is to be expected. I can't wait for blue laser technology to arrive, so that the potential of this television can finally be reached.

Price Paid:    $11900.00

Purchased At:   World Electronics

Submitted by Ted a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Went to Domes due to the ability to look at all the top brands side by side. I looked at Sony, Pioneer and Mitsubishi. All were comparable until I saw the WD-65000 side by side with the rest. The sharp, crisp lines were so obvious my decision became an easy one.

I took the time to have them show me all video feeds from DVD, Antenna feed, Cable feed, VCR feed and Direct TV feed. All these feeds produced a clearer sharper picture on the WD-65000 than all the other high end TV's.

I note here that flyboy2's review indicates he viewed a great picture at all locations he has seen this TV EXCEPT in his home. This seems strange to me. I can only assume that something has to be wrong with his video source feeding the signal to his TV that causes this problem. How else would you figure the contradiction of great picture quality everywhere else but the one he has hooked up in his home.

Purchased At:   Domes

Submitted by flyboy2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I reseached this tv to pieces in the past 12 months and basically waited for the price to come down a bit. I must have seen at least a dozen of these units over the months.

The picture looked like Plasma quality while showing High Definition in all stores I saw it displayed. I also saw a few DVD's played on it which I thought looked quite good. I even saw a computer hooked up to this unit and it looked terrific. One of the DLP's selling points is that it can display a computer screen quite well. Imagine what a game could be when you're hooked up to your stereo system Playing a graphics intense game like Riven or Myst on a thing like this!!

So the big day finally came. It arrived and I put in "Toy Story 2". I figured it would look stunning. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. I didn't know if perhaps I hooked things up wrong. It was a rather grainy picture. Now mind you, my DVD player is a Pioneer Elite DV-37 and I had Monster Cable M500V ($150) Component Cables hooked up...and it still looked average to me.

It gets better....Then I notice a slight "bow" at the top of the screen on picture. Sure enough, Pauls TV replaces with another new one. Guess what...same exact problem. Same place and everything. Pauls sends out 2 guys to fix it....they say they can't really fix it and a Mitsubishi Engineer is coming to their store the next day to look at our original set that we had exchanged since it was the same problem. The techs from Pauls put a "line-display" on the screen and there it is...a bow. We're still waiting to hear from the Mits Engineer on his findings. My wife and I then go to a local store carrying same product and look to see if theirs has a bow in its picture. Sure enough there it is. Everyone I have pointed this out to agrees that there is in fact a bow at the top of the screen. Bad Batch from Mits that month....???

To their credit Paul's TV in La Habra Ca has been very responsive to us and had either a new tv or a tech out to our house (over 100 miles away!!) the very next day after a call for assitance.

Since the bow/bend is not significant, I'm willing to possibly work with it as long as when I get my HD set top box from Directv tomorrow, that the 1080i looks perfect. If not, I think I'll be sending this one back. Since this unit costs ten grand, I think it should be pretty near perfect....and it's not.

Purchased At:   Paul's TV in La Habr

Submitted by P Marcus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the most thoughtfully designed television I have ever personally seen. The chrominance and luminance, viewing range, and versatile inputs make this 65" HD/Digital set a unique offering in the commodity world of wide-screen television.

SFLAT: