Mitsubishi VS-45605 Rear Projection

4.36/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1900.00

45" Screen. 3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter. Component Video Input. Advanced Two-Tuner PIP™. Full Home Theater Inter-connectivity.

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Like many I was wary of rear-projection television, thinking back to what they were like many years ago. 10 months ago I was going to upgrade my 27" Panasonic Ultraflat to a 36 inch model, then started looking at the various projection tvs on display. I was pretty surprised at what I saw. The Mits 45" made the most favorable impression, and that has held to this day. I have my laserdisc player, two divd players and a vcr hooked into it. Plenty of inputs to go around, including s-video and rca in the front!
When I first plugged set it up I immediately used a reference DVD to setup color, brightness, etc. Factory settings are far too intense. Overall I was pretty happy with it until about 2 weeks later - when everything seemed to just "settle in". The picture appeared noticably smoother, colors more natural, everything just overall "better". I have been told it can take a couple of weeks for a projection tv to settle in - don't know how accurate that is. Perhaps my eyes, used since birth to the look of a tube image, "settled in". At any rate, the picture is now superb. I have not had a single glitch or problem except one: the Mute/volume on the remote stopped working. My Mits vcr has a compatible remote and I verfiied the functions on the tv itself indeed are fine. So the remote is sent back for "repair" (aka replacement).
I watch a good mix of 2.35, 1.85 (16.9) and standard 1.33 movies (lots of classic horror/sf B&W films from the 30's and 40's.). The Mits handles b&w beautifully.
The 64 point convergent system is remarkably easy to get used to. I usally make a quick pass through once a week just to keep thing tight. Total expenditure of maybe 3 minutes.
There is an "iris" feature that, when turned on, causes the picture to respond to varying light conditions. I found this to be less than useful- again, it is set too intensely for my liking. I opted to not get the plastic shield. The result is a dead matte screen that reflects pretty much zero light. If you never experienced watching a television without any reflectins on it you are in for a treat.
Solid, dependable, a great picture and a bargain to boot.

Submitted by Timothy Williams a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm an audiofile, never been big on television but, this thing is wonderful. I was in the market for a new tube, looking @ the Sony flat, that's a great TV but the Mitsu is even better to me. I have always thaugh of big screens as being poor for the home but not this, it's as clear and clean as a real good television. I love my 45" it's not too big and does not dominate my living room, like most of those best buy things, I can see the complete picture without looking aroundd the screen. If you are looking to buy one take a look @ Mitsu, the only companies that compare or have a better product are Pioneer Elite and Runco, besides that gang nothing compares.

Purchased At:   United Audio

Submitted by spike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've been waiting to give a proper review. I have the 50" - 50607 - no other place for it here. After spending a month looking and comparing I just think the Mitsu stands out in picture clarity, and the independent dealers I talked to were the first to say that they are best out there for quality. That says a heap. I've had no problems or glitches in 6mo. and am really glad I made this purchase.

Set-up as home theater includes:

Pioneer 409 DD/DTS receiver, sub/center/surrounds
Panasonic RV30 DVD
satellite box
hi-fi VCR
Monster cables

5.1 channel sound is awesome through receiver - you have to watch Jurassic Park again!!!!!
TV picture is clear as a bell with sat digital picture.. DVD is even more sharp if that is possible. This was a worrysome part for me - but everyone that watches this set is amazed at how great it looks. Even from off-center angles picture is bright and clear - leave the iris off or change it yourself, it has a tendency to fiddle with itself during lighting changes. Set-up for DVD/daylight/evening modes should be enough even for picky people. Have not had to use the convergence feature yet - no problems at all.

The bottom line is a great picture will sell itself and
for me the time spent comparing has really paid off.

Purchased At:   Arts

Submitted by Jeff Schmit a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased my set in Jan. 2000 and had go out three times since. It would just shut off while you were watching it and would not turn back on. The first it came back on the next day and for about month, the second time was the same but got it looked at and they loose solder connections and thought they fixed them with no problems from Mit. Now it just went out again same deal, shut off but this it would not back on found other problems be without my set for almost three weeks. If it were not for these problems it would be a great set. Only good thing is my extended warranty, if it has to be fix more than three times I get a new one.

Purchased At:   Nebraska Furniture Mart

Submitted by Michael Wood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
My wife and I looked at a lot of TVs and we feel this one had the best quality pitchure for the buck. We spent $1300.00 and got the screen saver with it. WE went from a 19" to 45" so it is a big difference for us. I have noticed that any diagnal lines (like riggings of a ship or names in the credits of movie)looks like steps, the pixels do not create a smooth line. I think they could have designed the remote a little better. The buttons are easy to bump to change the input or the button for the the menu. It would have been nice to have it light up at night. I do love the set, all of our friends love the color and sound and how clear it is. We turn off the lights and it is like being in the movie house. I really like this one.

FGH 26: