Hitachi 65SWX20B Rear Projection

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

65" Widescreen HDTV Monitor/NTSC Projection Television

Submitted by Nadeem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
After months of research comparing, size, cost, picture quality and overall bang for the buck, I settled on the 65SWX20B. I have had it for about a month. This television has surpassed all of expectations in every way. I have comcast digital cable with component video outputs. Some of the SDTV channels look OK while others look great. I also have 4 HDTV channels. These look far better than the SDTV channels. Some of the channels braodcast on HDTV channels are upconverted tp 1080i. They look great. The other programs that are recorded in 1080I and broadcast look absolutely spectacular. They look almost three dimensional. I watched the Disney film New Swiss Family Robinson broadcast on one of the network HDTV channels. The color and detail was the best I have ever seen. The local PBS station broadcast true HDTV nightly. Again I have to say WOW!
My only gripe is that I have the television in a room with 2 windows opposite it. I can't place anywhere else .During the day I get a glare from the windows onto the televsion. I would probably get the same glare from any televsion I placed there. Nevertheless, it's still annoying. Putting up dark curtains helped. As with any RPTV, good lighting control is essential to gettting the best possible picture.
DVDs also look spectacular. I just got done watching the director's cut of The SciFi channels version of DUNE on DVD. All I can say is WOW. I have an older DVD player that is not progressive scan. The picture looks awesome. The television automatically upconverts the picture to either 540p or 1080i and does a very good job of doing so. The picture looks so great with my old DVD player that I can't imagine the picture appearing any better with a progressive scan DVD player. I may upgrade in the future, but for now I very happy with my current DVD player.
I can't comment too much on the sound because most of the time iuse my receiver for sound.
In summary, this is a great TV for $3000 and better than most costing twice that amount. After looking at the mits, pioneer,toshiba, sony any many others, I am happy with my decision.

Submitted by darriaga a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this TV about 3 months ago and I still have no complaints - Colors and picture quality is superb on HDTV reception or a dvd player. (HDTV reception is the best if you have cable hdtv or receiver)
Going to the movies? stay home and rent a dvd - you'll be amazed! I researched and compared to Sony,Mitsubishi,Toshiba, Panasonic,Samsung, and Philips similar size models, this "monster" tv is not only better in picture quality but also features. (only Pioneer Elite may be a notch above)

Submitted by Mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
People Please Judge Hitachi 51SWX20B, that is the tv you should be reviewing, not any uwx's or anything else but the swx20b. The picture is just incredable!

Submitted by DH Labs Source a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I feel that I should give an updated view of what I think of this TV. Originally, I felt very disappointed with this TV's 480i upconversion. But having used it for a while I have grown to see other characteristics of the set out weigh it's 480i upconversion downside. I had a technician come by to look at it and he said that there is nothing wrong with the TV. He said that this TV is too sensitive to poor signals. These days, anything less than progressive scan component input is consider poor signal. So even satellite signal over svideo is not sufficient for this set. It seems to magnify all the flaws in the signal. But when I feed the TV with a good progressive scan DVD input from a Yamaha S1200 DVD player, the picture is breath taking. Coupled with a good DVD player you are able to squeeze out every once of picture information that a DVD has to offer. I even started to notice the limitations of DVD format. Can't wait to get HDTV and HD DVD hooked up to this set. I think this TV is an excellent investment for the future. You have to abandon svideo and composite video signals to truly enjoy this set. Another thing I like is the convergence of the TV which is dead on and has not shifted much compared to 3 other sets (Toshiba and Hitachi) I have owned in the past.

Submitted by gernbeck a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Can't help but feel the two previous reviewers got duds- if that's true, it may not speak well for Quality Control, but my set's performance is outstanding. (Check out Dec. "The Perfect Vision" where this set is rated BETTER than Elite in a number of criteria- also note Editor's Note in beginning of mag- R. Harley BOUGHT THE REVIEW SAMPLE.) Resolution on DVD is very crisp and detailed- can count the hairs on the beard of the archeologist dude on "Fifth Element" without any problem. color sat. and fidelity are spot on, save for a slight yellow tone to green. Cable reception is quite variable, and generally depends on the quality of the source; quite a bit of programming can look dreadful. I bought the set primarily for DVD, and to wait on the (hoped for)expeditious transition to HD. So less than stellar NTSC reproduction I can live with. I find the doubler actually better than my Pioneer Elite, so I run the Elite DVD player into the Hitachi in interlaced mode. When shopping the national chains, make sure of the model number you are being shown- some of "last years" models (ending in numerical suffixes of "10" or "12")- they do not have the improved '03 technology. (however, judging by some of the responses below, you may prefer the older sets !!)

Atlantic Technology :