GE 46GW945 Rear Projection

3.62/5 (21 Reviews)

Submitted by minisann a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
WE BOUGHT THIS SET BECAUSE MY HUSBAND DESPERATELY WANTED A LARGE SCREEN WHILE I HAD A BUDGET IN MIND. ALL THINGS CONSIDERED THOUGH, IT HAS BEEN VERY GOOD TO US. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT AND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, WE ARE FINALLY GOING TO UPGRADE TO AN HDTV-WIDE SCREEN. WE HAVE THE S CABLE CONNECTED TO OUR DVD AND OUR PICTURE/SOUND HAS BEEN INCREDIBLE. MANY COMPLIMENTS HAVE COME OUR WAY.

Purchased At:   BEST BUY

Submitted by Eric Hankins a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went to buy a 35" tube TV knowing the prices were in the $600 to $800 dollar range. The salesman asked if I was interested in a big screen in or near that price range and showed me the GE for $999. I told him that that was too steep and he said he had an out of box model for $749. We plugged it in and I bought it on the spot. I also purchased the screen cover and the extended warranty because it "had" been delivered to and opened by another party. I purchased it in September of 2000 and I have "not" had one single problem with it. Running it with my digital dish system and DVD player the picture is excellent! I wasn't happy with the sound though, so I hooked it to a Dolby receiver with surround speakers and I've been in heaven ever since! I know about the problems associated with this set but mine is a keeper.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by PAUL LUCAS a

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THE QUALITY OF THIS TELEVISION

Submitted by Bill S a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Allthough this is the CHEAPEST projo on the market it is definitly one of those times that the old addage"you get what you pay for", comes into play. I owned this $900 unit for 92 days before i had the first of many repair vists all of which were coonviently not covered by waranty!!!!
This TV however now fianl.ly comes with and S-Video jack making it an improvement over the 1998 version.

I have three words of advice....

BUY THE WARANTY!!!!!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Having read the other reviews that are posted on this site, I am surprised that people tend to either love this TV or hate it. Some people apparently had the TV die on them during the first month of use, while others claim that its better than a Sony.

I happen to be one of those people who is having a great experience with this TV. I have the newest model (46GW948), and perhaps GE has gotten around to fixing any bugs that may have plagued the earlier models. The picture quality is fantastic. I mostly watch DVDs, and I sit only about 6 or 7 feet away from the TV. When you're that close to, flaws tend to really stand out. Yet, I am not noticing any flaws. The blacks are very black and the picture detail is terrific. The TV has 900 lines of resolution, and any digital source looks great. Video tapes, of course, don't look nearly as impressive, but tapes tend to look bad on almost any TV. Once you get spoiled with the picture quality of DVD, tapes simply don't cut it - not even SVHS tapes. The fact is that I was able to spend only $850 and come away with a very nice big screen TV.

Regarding inputs, many people are complaining that there is only one S-Video Input. While this is a genuine complaint, it has not affected me in the slightest. I have a nice receiver that has 4 S-Video Inputs, so I do all of my video switching through that. When you set your system up this way, all you need is one S-Video input.

I must say, however, that given some of the bad reviews of this TV, I chose to buy the 4-year extended warranty with my set. Why take any chances? So, while I cannot predict what may happen to my TV 3 or 4 or 5 years from now, I can say that I highly recommend this set based on my experiences up to now.

Purchased At:   Circuit City