TEAC X-10
Description: reel to reel

Submitted by Royce a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
Yes i had the Teac X10R with DBX 2 compression, what a beautiful machines, sadly don't have it any more, did not know you could get spare parts for it, now after a turntable again, digital is great, as long as sampling is high enough but looking towards analogue in some areas.

Submitted by VINCENT CHEN a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
My how a few days can change things. The X-10R has improved in some areas and about the same in others. I hadn’t purchased the new pinch rollers yet but intend to. I want to get the last bit of excess wow and flutter out of its’ system. The new capstan belt made a huge difference here. The sound is now closer to the X-10 I have. The auto reverse function seems to look for a difference in the color of the leader,or tail. On some of my tapes, the X-10r will reverse without the aid of sensing foil tape. On others like my Maxell “UD”, it justs runs to the end. I will hopefully get a clarification once I get the backordered owners manual from Teac. The more I use these decks,the more I appreciate there functionality over style here. The mode changes are without event,the “real time pause” (moves the pinch station closer to the capstan for a nearly lag free start) is a joy,makes me wonder why more decks didn’t have this feature. So for a long time to come,it looks like my quest for a good sounding long play/record deck is over. My other choice was an Akai 747. However,everybody wants that one,and it seems to command quite a premium most of the time. So I am more than content with the X-10R.. A very good choice for those long recording chores that won’t afford you the luxury of swapping and flipping reels.. You get all the warm sound of analog,and the convience of the bi-directional play/record feature. Another winner from Teac, and a welcome addition to my studio.

Submitted by Vincent Chen a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
To all of those paying attention,yes I know that this the X-10 segment of the Teac open reels,however,with the addition of 3 more heads and auto reverse record and playback. The X-10R adds more versitility to an otherwise great workhorse of a deck. Just recently I found that the TASCAM 32-2b appears to be one and the same with the X-10,but with the 15 ips/38cm sec record speed and is a 1/2 track . So it appears that the X-10 is a “sound” platform. Well,what do you get? You get 3 hours of uninteruped recording time without having to flip reels over for the other side. A biggy for those long events where you just don’t have time for reel flipping. Usually if time was a concern,then I would use 2 decks. My X-10 and 3300s TEAC would be called into duty. But with the X-10R I really don’t need to do that. A big savings in gear lugging. I possibly would still have the X-10 as backup. Just good practice to use a spare just in case of the that unexpected problem. I just finished refurbing the X-10R to proper running order. The capstan belt was stretched,the reel tables out of alignment,but for the most part,everything was as I expected from a deck that is almost 20 years old. The heads had some wear,but the wear is even. The sound is similar to my X-10 but I think the X-10 has bit more high frequency extention. I have to compare the 2 more closely to be sure. When connected to my dbx-2 noise reduction system,the X-10R makes a fine recording. All recording I do is always at the decks highest speed. This case,7 1/2 ips/19cm sec. the X-10Rs’ wow and flutter are very low. I like to use long sustained notes of a piano for my test and I use David Benoits’ albums allot because they have good recording quality and because a piano is one of the most demanding instruments to record I think. Grp does a good job with Davids’ tunes. I will record more over the weekend to further get more on the sound of the X-10R. Up to this point,the transport controls operate quickly and treat the tape quite gently. The dual capstan design with dual tension arms and inertia idlers insure that the tape never gets stretched. I like how this deck handles my tapes better than my Technics RS-1500us. The controls are well maked and easy to read. The backlit,large “VU” meters are a snap to see. While I won’t confuse the fit and finish with the finest gear out there,the X-10Rs’ controls and fit and finish strongly demonstrate that functionality was its main goal. I will give an update when the X-10Rs’ “shakedown” is done. V.C.
The numbers: frequency response : 40hz-20khz overall at -10db,signal to noise ratio @3%
THD is 63 weighted. Wow and flutter at 7 1/2 ips/19cm sec is 0.03% (NAB weighted). Channel separation is 50db at 1khz. More specs on the next report. V.C.

Submitted by Eugene Pigulevsky a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I want to buy this tape deck.

Submitted by chuck bell a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
want yo know more and see some pictures of the TEAC X-10

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener