Polk Audio FXi30
Description: <br>- Reformulated poly-composite Dynamic Balance drivers with butyl rubber surrounds for durability and smooth wide range response. <br>- 3/4" silk/polymer composite dome tweeters for clear, detailed highs. <br>- Perfect timbre-matching with the other speakers in the Polk Audio RTi Series, for a more realistic, more seamless surround environment. <br>- Triangular cabinets aim drivers and tweeters in opposing directions to produce a diffuse wavefront for wide, lifelike imaging of surround-sound FX.

Submitted by kidcharlemagne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded my system with a Pioneer Elite Dv-45A DVD player. This combination player also plays DVD-Audio and SACD discs. After playing a couple of multichannel DVD-Audio discs including Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Donald Fagen's The Nightfly I knew something was wrong. My old Cambridge Soundworks Surround II dipoles were not up to the task. I bought the Surrounds years ago to go with my original Dolby Pro logic system. Back then the surround channel on the Pro logic system rolled off the frequencies below 100 Hz and above 7 kHz. The Surround's have two speakers a two inch tweeter firing forward and a 3.5 inch driver firing backward along the side walls. The increased fidelity and dynamics coming from the DVD-Audio demanded a better speaker.
I did some research on this and other sites. First I looked at Infinity products to match my main and center speakers. I wasn't impressed by the reviews . I got a magazine that had audio video product guides listed by manufacture and giving price and specs. I decided I needed a dipole speaker that had a frequency response between 60 Hz-20 kHz. Do to room restrictions it could not be taller than 12 inches. This narrowed my search to a handful including the FXi30. There were no reviews on this site for the FXi30 but there were good reviews for the F/X300i which is last years version. I was able to listen to these speakers at a nearby Circuit City. With no sales people in sight I was able to listen to these in a surround sound setup and I was able to rewire them to listen to them as front main speakers. Finding no negatives except Circuit City's price I decided to order these online. I can't recommend this online retailer because they shipped me the wrong speakers. Getting them shipped back and the correct ones shipped took about 3 weeks.
The speakers finally arrived and I am very pleased. I have watched several DVDs including Saving Private Ryan in DTS, the battle scenes make your heart race. I'm looking forward to getting more SACDs and DVD-Audio. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in multichannel SACD is being released next week, I can't wait.

Purchased At:   worldofaudioandvideo