Boston Acoustics VRS Pro THX Surround
Description: 2-Way Dipole Surround - 5.25" Woofer and (2) 2.5" Tweeters

Submitted by Richard Knight a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Bottom Line:
I just got a pair of white VRS Pro's at Goodwill for $5.35 each. Based on these reviews and my hooking them up and listening to them; I guess I did really well on buying these! The bass wasn't terribly impressive (which I didn't really expect based on the size) but the mid range and highs were very impressive. You just never know what is going to show up at Goodwill!

Submitted by Kaysee. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I saw the 2009 commets and RyRob statements on the Boston Pro VRS. My comment is that the are great and are still great. Recently had to change my music enviroment so my beloved White VRS came down. I saw that they had value not sure what it is or where to try to sell them, great speakers for someone who can use them. Best suggestion on using them is to use a DB meter, they come alive when set right!

Submitted by RyRob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of used Boston Acoustics VRS Pro surround speakers kind of on a whim hoping they would enlighten me to the higher end side of speaker quality. So far despite them being used, I'd have to say I'm impressed. I have been slowly trying to step up how I listen to music by buying better quality sound equipment. Every time I'm at a party or visiting someone and they are listening to their music on junk speakers that are distorting like crazy I almost cant take it.

I hooked the pair up to a 2 channel Marantz receiver as mains (not what they are meant to be used for but hey I just wanted hear their overall quality) and I was excited about what I heard. Imagine every song you've listened too before sounding like you were right there with the band. I've listened to a lot of speakers and way most impressed by the separation, crispness and accuracy of the Bostons. The VRS Pros play with your ears making it feel like the sound is all around you and moving across a spectrum. I played instrumental classics from The Lord of the Rings, the latest by country artist Eric Church, some rock out piano action by Ben Folds and even dropped in some older jams by Dr Dre and Snoop. I'll have to say the dual tweeters on the Pros bring out just about all the vocals and upper midrange you could want and nothing blurs together. You hear every click of the stick on the drums and every breath the artist takes. The low end could be better and should definitely be paired with an sub with some punch.

I guess I'm describing these speakers from the wrong perspective/use. If you were using them solely for surrounds they would be more than perfect, but if you're using them by themselves they definitely need a sub for more substantial lower end performance. I bought the speakers knowing they were for surround sound use, with the intent of using them as my main speakers for a computer multimedia system. I guess I thought this way I would get some sweet speakers from Boston (in very beautiful enclosures) without going with a standard bookshelf speaker look/design. Plus you can find the Pros and the other VRS surrounds cheaper than their other VR main speaker counterparts. Overall win-win.

The pair feels very solid and are build well with great gold platted post connects.

If you want some good speakers from Boston without breaking the bank check the Pros out, they were industry top of the line when released and are built like a rock. As surrounds, they will dominate most other speakers in the category easily....easily. But, if you're hooking them up as a small set of mains for home desk use or something, pick up a 8" or 10" sub by Boston to compliment and you'll be set! Rock on!

Submitted by esoley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Boston Acoustics VRS Pro's are now discontinued. They are Lucas' THX certified and are an audiophile's "BEST BUY" for the money. Their dipole surround sound dispersion emulates the superior quality of speakers that cost three times as much. The white models are the most sought after as they disappear when placed against a white ceiling or rear walls. Since they are no longer manufactured, their price is destined to climb as they are indeed classic speakers with technology that will live on without being superceded. The only reason that Boston Acoustics quit this model is that the frame maker of these acoustic marvels went out of business. These same speakers would be quite costly to retool and sell today. If you can get your hands on a set, jump at the chance -- if for no other reason, the VRS Pro's are a great investment with escalating value in the very near future. Listen to a set played aloud at THX standards and turn off the front main three speakers just to capture the sonic quality and strength of these THX giants as they pump out realistic, diffused (dipole) movie tracks that envelop your senses. Play critical music and you will be amazed at the clarity and unlimited range of these speakers. Again, look no further than a set of VRS Pro's to finish your 5.1 or 7.1 systems (for rear side speakers). These speakers epitomize performance and monetary value combined. TRUST ME!

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
All you need for a fantastic movie experience. Sometimes poor, sometimes great on 5.1 channel music CDs.

While these wer the largest of the Boston surrounds at the time I bought them, they are physically incapable of diving down low for bass. In this respect, the floorstanding NHT 2.1s were nicer but the Boston's still beat them at a surround speaker's main goal of ambience and fill.

For the past two months I've had my VRS in storage as I haven't had time to route the wires and mount them in my new house so the NHTs stay for now. I'm looking forward to get them hooked up to complete my all Boston system.

Pioneer VSX-24TX
Boston VR975
Boston VR920
NHT 2.1

By the way, I have NHT SuperTwos, a SuperOne, an SW2P powered sub and a pair of 2.1s for sale :)

Purchased At:   Tweeter, Etc.