B&W SCM 8 THX
Description: THX Certified Dipole Surround Speakers - (2) 6.5" Drivers and 1" Tweeters

Submitted by Charles Rizzo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
These are the most amazing rear speakers I have heard to date. The solid construction, tight mid-bass, and sound movement is incrdible. Granted at $1400/pair they should be. For Dolby Digital, and especially DTS, these make a world of difference. I am still a true believer in 2 speaker stereo though.

Submitted by David Jacobs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
I was very excited to install these speakers in my home. In fact I stayed up late to get them installed the night I brought them home (till 2am).
I decided to try these speakers on two different systems. First my Marantz AV9000 w/Transparent cable. Wow! They sounded better than I hoped! The dispersion was excellent and I really had a feeling of being surrounded. Much better than direct firing surrounds, as far as I am concerned. I noticed that the pillars I had on the wall would have to go in order for the speakers to sound their best. The B&Wfs were right behind alder pillars I had installed. The pillars blocked the sound a bit from the forward speaker.
I got curious a week later and wanted to see how these speakers performed on an older Pioneer Dolby Surround system, with THX Monster Cable (this should be interesting right?). Well I must say that for a regular Dolby system, these speakers really help improve the surround quality. It's always been amazing to me how some good speakers, properly placed, can drastically improve sound quality even on a cheaper "Circuit City" type of sound system. No offense to the Circuit City people!
The B&Wfs also provide a modern look to the room that is really eye catching. In other words, these speakers really look great!
I was a little disappointed to discover that the Kevlar cone wasnft similar to the Kevlar cone in my CDM 7SE. They used a cone like the ones found in the regular CDM 7. So instead of a fixed center, itfs attached to the cone.
I heard a rumor that B&W planned on discontinuing these speakers...maybe an upgrade (I hope). I think they would be foolish to do so.

Submitted by David Jacobs a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have ordered a pair of the B&W THX SCM-8 dipoles. Of course these speakers are using the famous kevlar cones as they are using in most of their speaker line.I listened to them at the store, and I must say that I was very impressed with the performance. The only dipoles I felt were better were the Revel Embrace Dipoles, but the Revels were hundreds more in price.

B&W has always impressed me, I hope that these speakers will sound just as impressive at home as they did at the store. I will post an update once I have them installed.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile