Axiom Speaker Company Quadrant QS-8
Description: Dual 5 1/4" aluminum woofer; dual 1" titanium tweeter; Freq. Resp. Hz 60-22K

Submitted by MELV1N a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
Prior to purchasing these surrounds, I was using my old two-way JBL 4408 bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. When I purchased the QS8s, I put the JBL's to the back and the Q8s went to the sides to make "7.1 surround".

I think the buyer should be aware that if you are going from front firing speakers to these non directional speakers, the sound is going to be quite different. At first, I did not think I liked the sound difference. I believe the technicians call the sound that the Q8's deliver an "envelope". I found myself going to the speaker test on my receiver to see if they were on. The biggest difference I found in the sound is when there are direct side noises (such as a car horn). It is not right in your face, but instead, the sound is more disseminated to that side of the room. My comment is not so much about quality of sound, but about listener taste, expectation and what they are accustomed to. With that said, I have had the speakers for about six months now and have grown accustomed to the sound difference. With an upgrade in some of my equipment I have really grown the love these surrounds. My friends and family think the sound is incredible.

The great thing about buying from Axiom is the 30 day home trial. I believe this is the only way to truly test a set of speakers.

The appearances of the speakers on the wall really look professional. I will most likely purchase the same speakers for the backs to replace my JBLs (my wife cant stand the bar stools they sit on :).

The people at Axiom Audio are very knowledgeable and were instrumental in my decision to go with these surrounds. Prior to buying the QS8s, I had bought their EP500 subwoofer. The technicians quickly gained my trust with their helpful advice as to my entire HT setup, not to mention that the sub is simply awesome.

Purchased At:   axiom audio

Submitted by Harry_O a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
These speakers are about the best value in surrounds to ge had. Unconventional design that creates an enveloping sound field. For the money I can find nothing to criticize for movie soundtracks. As stated earlier, connecting speaker cables is a bit tricky and it could be easliy remedied with a different terminal orientation.
I find the a previous reviewer's "weakness" laughable. "kinda heavy"?, jeez buddy what a piercing insight into speaker performance. I hope your arms aren't getting tired.

Submitted by douga a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I thought these little surrounds could never live up to the hype - but they
really do. I was blown away by how much more real the effects sounded that
with my previous system. The sound is so full-ranged, and it places the
action exactly where the director intended it. I now understand what people
mean when they say 'panned seamlessly from side to side' - the QS8s do it
all.

Purchased At:   Axiom

Submitted by Jerry Farber a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have been listening to 2-channel music on varying systems since I was eight years old and to home theater since it was offered in 1985; a combined total of almost 50 years.
When it comes to music and sound offered in surround sound or the newer DD technology, I am what my wife refers to as fussy or picky, (I prefer perfectionist). The reason I’m telling you the reader of my audio make-up is to assure you that the review I am about to submit, is a direct reflection of my personal tastes. Still, yours may very.
The first I had time I even knew Axiom speakers existed was on the main page of audiorevie.com. I usually avoid reading ads related to audio gear of any kind unless I’m specifically looking for a new addition to one of my stereo systems. For some reason, this time I clicked on the ad. I’m glad I did.
I drive my wife crazy with the number of pre-existing speakers in our basement, in addition to the ones I use daily.
My wife understands my compulsion for perfection in both 2-channel stereo music and Surround Sound sources. She had a room built in our basement just for my music and movie enjoyment. Two systems reside therein: a 2-channel system and a home theatre setup that has evolved into a home theatre system I had previously only dreamt of owning. I was in Hi-Fi heaven. However my wife was unable to share this enjoyment with me as she is more or less confined to a wheel chair. Although I suggested that I set up another small surround system in the living room, her response was no. She said “You are not going to clutter up my living room with more stuff for your hobby”. We eventually reached an agreement. I could put in a DD system as long as everything was hidden or at the very least unobtrusive. We recently purchased a 52” TV and entertainment center. I bought a Surround Sound amplifier and I use a pair of Infinity book shelf speakers for main right and left speakers. My center channel speaker is by RCA. I got rid of the original front and surround speakers. They have been replaced by a pair of CS-8’s from Axiom; the difference between the old speakers and the CS-‘8’s is as different as morning g is to midnight.
I am happy because they deliver great sound from two separate tweeters (providing clean and crisp upper frequencies). Two midrange speakers provide equally clear and smooth midrange frequency response. Two woofers fire in opposite directions; one fires up and the other down. I’m happy with the woofers output. I also have a small subwoofer, but unless you’re really into low frequency sound, the Axiom speakers probably will satisfy you. Axiom also provides stands which allow for the sound waves emanating from the woofers to travel freely without being blocked by obstructions. The CS-8’s blend in nicely with both the Infinity and RCA speakers I mentioned above.
I got the CS-8’s with an oak finish and matching grill covers. I’m totally satisfied with this speaker. I am sure you can find better speakers out there, but not at this price. These speakers are great. They have the sound I want and they look so good, my wife is happy with the way her living room looks.
My wife has never been a music listener or movie watcher. More than once she has told me a good system would be wasted on her because she that she doesn’t have an ear for sound. Since listening to the CS-8’s, she has told me that she not only enjoys the sound of the speakers, but has said that the system really adds to the enjoyment of a movie “as long as it’s not too loud”

Purchased At:   AXION online

Submitted by budda bob harris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Originally I bought a pair of Axiom M3s for my surrounds but I liked the M3s so much I moved them to the bedroom as a stereo pair and replaced them with the QS-8s. These are really neat as they put the sound everywhere around you and yet you cant really locate the source. The QS-8s can play very loud in a middle size room and are very clear and clean. I was surprised at the bass even though I have them crossedover at 90 hz. I think that the smaller QS-4 would be fine for me and most others but I have the M60s and the VP150 and I wanted to keep the same drivers - 5 1/2 inch and 1 inch tweeter.

Purchased At:   Axiom outlet shop