Yamaha YST-SW100
Description: 70W sub w/ two (2) 7-inch paper cones with Active Servo Processing (1992)

Submitted by gbn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
This is a very good sub which has a punchy bass.The bass is very tight and can go very low frequencies.I really enjoyed it with my stereo system.If you can find then in second hand market definite worth to buy.I got mine for just S$100.This was one of my highest value for money deal...Only one thing didn't impress me was its size.But still can be forgiven this for the sound quality...

Submitted by gustasmaximus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
I`ve had mine for over 10 years,still works,still sounds fantastic,if you find one grab it,(rare) and ps its built well.

Submitted by Tyrion a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
This sub, if you can find one is an extraordinary find. I purchased this on ebay, to replace a Polk ten inch sub-woofer that was not musical at all. If you do the math two 7 inch drivers have almost exactly the same surface area as a single ten inch.

I recommend these for and addition to a stereo system. Tight, Tight bass! With the adjustable crossover it will blend seamlessly into your system. No boom, no avalanche of exaggerated bass that does not belong. It you like thunking because... I don't know why you would, Find bigger drivers, put them in a poor inclosure (so as it will vibrate) causing intense and distored vibration.

This sub is musical and makes a great addition to a stereo, floor standing as well as bookshelf. Full range speakers are best but you can't go wrong with this addition to your stereo.

Submitted by -cc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a fine acoustic music sub. It will not be suitable for the mind-numbing thump of disco or the room shaking explosions on movies.

If you are looking to add a couple of high quality octaves to the bottom of your bookshelf speakers, these are superb. They are extremely accurate and musical. Tympani, tubas, acoustic bass, and piano just sound great.

If you listen to jazz, classical, classic rock, and country, you'll love these. If you're building a disco palace, a hip hop club, or watching a special effects film festival, you'll be disappointed.

I know these go down to at least 25 Hz because I have tested them. 25 Hz is the lowest tone on my test CD and the sound meter picked recorded it at only -2 dB. The 25 Hz tone rattles the pictures hanging on my walls. Since the lowest fundamental tone on an acoustic instrument is 28 Hz, these subs do the job just fine.

But that's all just meters and numbers. The real test is listening, and everyone who hears them, really likes them. They reproduce real music, not one-note thumps. A stand-up bass on these subs is a thing of beauty.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm a college student on a tight budget, but I still want my music to sound good. And being used to the sound of the classic AR-90's I have at home, it's hard to compare. After reading reviews on this sub I decided it would be great for my dorm room. It is AMAZING!! Even though all my equipment is pretty old (70's Nikko TRM-600 amplifier, 1981 Pioneer SG-8 equalizer, and newer Mirage M-90i speakers) the yamaha really brought my system to life. In fact it souds much better than systems costing much more that have considerably more power.

Purchased At:   Ebay