Velodyne Acoustics SPL-1200 Series II
Description: The Small-Plays-Loud (SPL) Series subwoofer line consists of the SPL-800 Series II (8 driver), SPL-1000 Series II (10 driver) and SPL-1200 Series II (12 driver). All share a patented Energy Recovery System (ERS) 1000 watt RMS/ 2000 watt dynamic power digital switching amplifier. With their compact size and single front firing driver design, the SPL Series II subwoofers are easily hidden in a corner or built into a cabinet. Velodynes exclusive distortion limiting Dynamic Driver Control System assures linear cone movement, and controls the drivers frequency and distortion characteristics. This allows the SPL Series II subwoofers to play loud yet keep the bass very clean, tight and accurate.

Submitted by Fat lazy slob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked up this sub from The Listening Post in Christchurch. I had already purchased the rest of my setup from these guys and they said this beast would complement my HT well.
I took it home and unsheathed it. My oh my, the black gloss finish struck me first as something I would have to dust daily to keep looking nice. The power lead is removable and the remote is useable but really only functions to use to learn off with another remote. The 12" driver looks like it means business and delivers a shockingly clear tight bass when asked. I have little fear and have pushed it as hard as I can without the police turning up and taking me away for scaring the old folk down the road. I have removed the amp to see what the bulid quality is like and was impressed with the attention to detail. Movies are one thing, and even a cheap sub purchased from a chain store can impress during a voilent scene, however music is the real test of any sub and this bass machine is very musical indeed. I have run the sub for around 80 hours of movies and 200 hours of music now, it appears to be run in.

I have had to leave the cover on over the driver as I find myself looking at the cone when there is a bassy scene during a movie/music just to see the sucker move. Bass should be felt as much as herd.

Taken is a great movie to test any sub and I was scared a little during some scenes. I dont care about the neighbours and will enjoy this for a year or two before even thinking of an upgrade. Velodyne will be my next purchase for sure.

I use:

Glen

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Jimmy Harrison a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
This sub completely died after just three years. The power light is on without any sound. I took it today to be serviced at the Hi Fi Buys service department, and the warranty is just two years. The sub has barely been used in a home theater system for the last three years. I expect more longevity for a $1,000 sub. This will be my last Velodyne product.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Buys/Atlanta

Submitted by jmon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
Excellent sub. Very tight and responsive. They are, as their name suggests, very small compared to other subs with similiar diameter cones. The sub took a a little bit to dial in, but now sounds great. I listened to the 8in and the 10in. I stongly suggest upgrading to the 12in especially if you're using in a home theater. The 10in would be fine in a stereo only set up. The 8 seemed like a waste of money when I listened to it. - I suggest buying the SPL "R" which has a number of upgrades from the SPL series 2.

Purchased At:   New on Ebay

Submitted by duffmike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have been auditioning subs for about a year now. This sub is very clean. Plenty of power to spare. Very much worth the $1000 delivered I payed.

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence

Submitted by nyny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
The sub is set up with Rotel RSP-1068 processor and B&W 700 series speakers. I am using bass management setting in the processor and by-passing the sub's own cross over filter.

This little sub can really put out some serious bass! The bass is very tight and not boomy. When properly set up with my B&W705 bookshelves, the sound from stereo listening is just sweet (very musical).

The sub is even scarier when watching movies. It is very capable of producing ground/wall shaking bass.

On the down side, clicking sound can be heard when the power supply is engaging/disengaging (I am using auto on/off function). This can be a bit annoying when listening to materials that do not have lots of bass signal at a lower volume. I emailed Velodyne about it and was told that it's normal to have the clicking sound (clearly a poor design).

Purchased At:   Local Dealer