Velodyne Acoustics HGS-10
Description: Subwoofer with Velodyne's patented High Gain Servo technology

Submitted by MavrikinMd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have a HGS-10(that serves Currently as a FIFTY POUND paper weight!!!!) that when initially purchased(almost 10 yrs ago now) was considered top of the line given the HGS technology it incorporates. WHEN it worked, it Was Truly The Best sub I've Ever heard, & had sound tested Numerous diff. subs on diff. systems/receivers. All the reviews were Dead on with it's ability to produce window shattering sound with Incredible audio clarity even at lower levels. After less than 4 yrs of normal home use & NEVER having to turn it up beyond 33%(3 of 10 on the knob on rear outside panel), it began experiencing problems similar to what others have described as an Incredibly Loud scratchy high pitch, which Nothing resolved, including plugging into multiple diff. outlets. I immed. took it back to the local Myer Emco(which has Since gone out of business only After closing their local shop!) & they sent it in for repair. After receiving a repair bill of nearly $500(Almost Half the price paid!), after I was able to stop choking, challenged that a high tech performer such as this unit SHOULD Last At Least TWENTY Years prior to exhibiting problems such as this one. The issue was a bad power board(not circuit), which required replacing and could Not be repaired, per the explanation Velodyne provided Myer Emco. After challenging this Ridiculous fee, Myer Emco was Only willing to reduce the charge based on reduced costs from Velodyne repair by about $200, which I thought at the time was reasonable(Probably just One reason why ME is Out of business!!!). This $1100 unit @ ME was part of an elaborate $7K+ home theater system I purchased from them at that time(B&W speakers, which I Absolutely LOVE as a confirmed audiophile, & Marantz receiver). After only about a YEAR of continued "normal use", the EXACT Same thing happened one time when turning on the system to watch a movie, and I was IRATE after confronting the ME "people" Again w/the Same issue & was told This time I would be forced to eat the ENTIRE Repair cost!!!!

I have Since composed/mailed a letter to Velodyne w/NO response AT ALL from them regarding BOTH of these incidents!!!

WHEN the HGS-10 Actually Worked it WAS The Most Beautifully crafted Sub on the market Hands Down, which I Used to Constantly Rave about. NOW I would NOT Allow ANY Velodyne product in my home Even IF they GAVE one of their products!!! Velodyne's audio technology is TOP Notch, but ONLY When it Works, which is NOT very long in quality audio component years, and their "customer service" is OBVIOUSLY left at THEIR Orifice!!!!

Fantastic Product! HORRID quality control And Customer Service!!!!

Submitted by nthtdad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
bought unit 2001 amp died 2005 replaced at my cost, amp died 2008 had repaired,amp died 01/15/2011looking to change brand not a happy person will talk with rep tomorrow great subwoofer when working.

Submitted by BassThatHz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought my black gloss HGS-10 series 2, off ebay in 2006, knowing full well that it could have future amp problems.

I don't know what the original owner did to it (how it was used).
However in my possession, the amp started making popping sounds within a month or so (6 hours a day play time). I always unplug it from the wall when I'm done for the day.

The last thing I remember playing through it was Poseidon(2006), I don't recall it making odd sounds during the movie, but the next morning it was toast. So I figure I either clipped the input signal through my BFD DSP or my other CHT-15 masked the amp failure for the duration of the movie. Funny thing is, that I feed the CHT-15 the same LFE signal, which to this day is still fine, so maybe it wasn't my fault.

I sent the amp section in for replacement, they sent back a new 2007 amp, which has been fine ever since.

The Sound:
The deepest, cleanest bass I have ever heard...
It goes much deeper than anything in the CHT line and other such mass market series, it also has more dynamic range. For example when my CHT-15 is near its excursion/power envelope, this thing is only at 25%.

I've never heard this subwoofer distort under normal conditions, unlike the CT-100 this replaced. Now that I have heard a true sealed servo subwoofer I doubt I will ever go back to a non-servo ported design.

Now that I have finally removed the last piece of nasty distortion in my system with the HGS-10 and Rotel RMB-1075, I can finally watch movies at a decent volume, start to finish, and not have to worry about my gear over-heating or pushing its limits. It gives me piece of mind, so that I can get re-absorbed into the entertainment.

My next and hopefully last subwoofer upgrade will probably be to dual DD-15's, while the HGS-10 is good, I feel like I need more infrasonic capability without pushing the system as hard; but before I do that, I am going to upgrade my fronts to b&w 803's to closer match the bass quality, as my current Athena's AS F1's seem to be masking the HGS-10's true upper bass potential.

Submitted by blackdognumber1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased the HGS-10 from Soundworks a few years ago with a set of B&W 805's plus a number of other items to complete a home theater system.

The HGS-10 is a great sounding sub for a small room. The bass is very tight and goes down to subsonic. The bass is so powerfull I did have some difficulty with standing waves and wall vibrations at certain frequencies. Placement, optimization and room dampening improvments have resulted in outstanding performance.

Recently the HGS-10 started to make the classic popping and droning noises whenever it was on. My dealer "Soundworks" was more than helpful in having the unit repaired. They removed the amp and returned it to Velodyne.

While the unit was in for repair, I did some research on the HGS-10. I was stunned to find many, many other HGS-10, HGS-12 and HGS-15 owners are reporting the same issues. My repair was just like those reported by other HGS-10 owners (power Amp failure) which cost $245 for a repaired (not new!) Amp.

Being an Engineer, I suspect the cost of the components to repair the amp is less than $25 and labor less than an hour.

Based on other HGS-10 owner comments, this is a design flaw that will reoccur.
I suspect it might be another year or so before another failure could be expected (smell of a money pit).

At this point I'm very dissapointed in Velodynes stand on this product. They have a reliabilty issue and the customers perseption is very poor. With a flagship product like this Velodyne needs to step up and stand behind the product . If they have a reliabilty issue, they need to make it right. (eat some of the repair cost or extend the warranty!!)

At this point I'd like to dump the HGS-10 on ebay and give someone else the problem. Unfortunatly, I can't stick anyone with a defect like this. The HGS-10 will be mine to the grave (maybe another year).

I'd really like to be very loyal to Soundworks, but I'm left with a bitter taste from this Velodyne problem. At this point I'm looking for an amp, but will have to consider all options.

If you are looking to buy a used HGS-10, beware, someone is stiking you with a lemon.

Purchased At:   Soundworks, Rocheste

Submitted by jdd a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've got a similar story..retailer could not say enough good things about the amp when I bought it. It did sound great and was easy to place due to its small size. But before the 2-year warranty was up, the amp started producing odd popping and droning sounds. Brought the amp in to the retailer with reciept and warranty statement. I was told that the amp had gone bad and would need to be replaced. I insisted that the warranty be honored and it was. Two and half years later, same problem emerged. This time the warranty is up. I've been told by the retailer that it's turned out to be a common problem with these subs, and that I can either choose to fix it for $385, or alternatively they would work with me on the purchase of a new sub. I asked if there was any correlation between use and failure of the sub, and the retailer responded that there was no behavior they knew of that would increase the life of the sub. In my opinion, this is a flawed product. It should not have made it to market. Worse still, is Velodyne's lack of proactive response. Every purchaser of this product should have received a recall notice from Velodyne and some remedy. Instead they have left it to communities of their customers to discover the large breadth of the problem in frustration and anonymity. Velodyne has lost a customer for life, while also dealing a blow to the audio marketplace. I'll see what the retailer, who I do not hold blameless, is willing to do for me on a different brand.

Purchased At:   Audio Video Today