Velodyne Acoustics CT-100

Submitted by jorgillo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I REMEMBER WHEN THE SALES PERSON TOLD ME THAT THIS BRAND IS THE BEST AT U.S.A.( WITH MILLER AND KREISSEL) AND HE WAS RIGHT, THIS SUB HAS A GREAT PUNCH,WITH ONE OF THE DEEPEST BASS I NEVER HEARD AT THIS RANGE OF PRICE, BETTER WITH MOVIES THAN WITH MUSIC, BUT IF YOU CONSIDERED THE PRICE IS A REALLY GOOD BUY.

Purchased At:   ken kranes Westm Cal

Submitted by aargonaut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
My system

Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 preamp/processor
Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 5 channel power amp
Harman Kardon Citation 22 power amp
Harman Kardon 670 (Used as phono pre-amp)Harman Kardon ST8 turntable with Shure M97xE (Couldn't afford the V15)
Nakamichi RX505 cassette deck
Tascam 202 Mk III dual well cassette deck
Sony DVD-NC650V SACD player
JVC XV-FA95GD (DVD-Audio Player)
HK Citation 13 speakers
1 pair Koss CM/1030 (Formerly used as subwoofer)
4 Koss CM/1020s (one for center channel, two as rear surrounds, and one which is used as a computer printer stand)

The problem:

I have an audiophile's appetite for audio, but my budget doesn't include money for an audio system the price tag of a Mercedes. Until now, I have been using 25 year old Koss CM/1030s with 10" woofers to handle the bottom end. These were designed for music reproduction, and not for the sound effects of movie soundtracks. They just didn't have the rumble of a friend's $20,000 HT system. Not only that, but given there is no such thing as a room large enough in a house with a price of less than three-quarters of a mil in all of Los Angeles for a really good HT system. So, I needed more umph at the bottom.

The Solution:

So, I started looking for a good budget Subwoofer. I had been considering 12" subs by JBL, Infinity and HSU when I found a used Velo CT-100 in the Recycler, a magazine in Los Angeles which provides free classified advertising.

Veoldyne has a reputation as one of the best subs on the market. I called another friend who used to be a rep for Harman Kardon about 30 years ago and asked his opinion. He said I'd like the driver. I immediately pulled the money out of the bank and drove the 150 mile round trip to buy the sub.

Impressions:

I got it home and attached it to the LFE out on my pre/pro. I stuck it between my main speakers in the middle of the room -- positioned all wrong, and it still sounds good. I played Pink Floyd Dark Side (SACD), Govi - Andelusian Nights, The Who - Tommy (SACD), Fourplay (DVD-Audio), and Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (DVD-Audio). This sub proves to be very musical. Setting my preamp to pump out everything below 100Hz to the sub gave the bottom end a great deal of authority, even though my main speakers are supposed to be flat to 30Hz. It is neither boomy nor a 1 note wonder. And I was able to pump all 400 watts of power from my Citation amp into my main speakers, and the Velo kept up pretty much effortlessly.

Next, I tried to find a DVD with a good LFE track. I tried Gladiator, Harry Potter - Chamber of Secrets, and X-Men 2. None were satisfactory for a real workout. Finally, I found a use for Star Wars II -- Attack of the Clones. All those marvelous Lucas space ship engines. And things getting blown up, cut off by light-sabers. It isn't as good as the one in my friend's $20K system with something like 1000 watts into 3 subs, but it was close enough.

All in all, I'm very happy with the sound and build of the unit. I think I'll keep it.

Purchased At:   used - private party

Submitted by Wireworm5 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for CHT-10 model. My room is 10'x25' mostly concrete walls and lively. I have the sub placed against the wall in the middle of the room firing at the far wall.The bass is seamless,accurate and hits with authority and is not boomy sounding (like my previous sub).I wanted a musical sub and this one does the job.
It's front firing with a sloted port hole in the bottom front.Rated for 27hz,150 watt Rms and weighs 54 lbs.It also has a direct crossover feature. This lets you use the crossover from your receiver/processor rather than its own internal crossover.
My music tastes, new age,heavy metal,guitar rock, electronic and pop.
My system:
Yamaha rxv-2200
JVC r-s77 (bi-amp)
Panasonic DVD CV-52
Creative Lab Soundblaster Platinum
Paradigm CC-370 v.3,Monitor 9&7 v.2
Velodyne CHT-10

If your in the hunt for great sub in $700 cdn price range be sure to add this one to your short list.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by NickWH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I picked up this sub after hearing it in the store. You really can't go wrong with a name like Velodyne. I was surprised at how affordably their entry-level line was. It sounded pretty good there, but it was even better at home. I was afraid that the 10" driver would not be strong enough (I was moving up from an 8" sub), but the 10" proved to be plenty powerful. I would reserve anything bigger for the biggest of rooms or if you don't value your hearing.

This sub is fairly tight for having a slot-loaded cabinet. My listening habits are 50/50 between home theater and music, so I liked the forward-firing woofer design. Downward-firing drivers seem less musical and better suited to theater only. The anti-clipping and over-excursion circuitry works very well, this sub never bottoms out. The 150w RMS amp has oversized heatsinks in the back, and the controls are solid and well placed. All in all, a great package for under $400. You would have to spend at least $1000 to get a substantial increase in performance.

Purchased At:   6th Ave. Electronics

Submitted by NightFlyerGTI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Got a steal of a deal on my CT-100 a few weeks ago at Circuit City. It was a unit that had been on display (open item) for 3 months, and for some reason nobody bought it. The reason it was priced so low is that it was recovered from a company raid of a now ex-employee's apartment, where he had smuggled $5k worth of stuff out the back door over the course of a week. Because of negligence, the unit had a missing rubber foot on the bottom, several minor nicks on the edges, and a couple minor scrapes on the sides. Satisfactory cosmetic shape. The store rep hooked it up for me and it played just fine, so I took it. Back home, I wiped it down with a damp rag and touched up the nicks with a Sharpie marker- looks as great as it sounds now! Just have to locate another rubber foot, or replace them all with spikes. My first Velodyne experience has me enjoying my CDs and favorite DVD scenes all over again, and genuinely curious dorm room neighbors are very impressed and jealous... that they don't have anything to drown me out with.

Purchased At:   Circuit City (open i