SVS Model 25-31PC
Description: o 190 watts RMS o 25 Hz tuning point o +/- 3 dB 25 Hz-80 Hz o 31" tall Price includes shipping.

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I actually started out with the 25-31cs around Thanksgiving of 2001. I had a 100 watt Sony receiver that I was thinking I would use to power the sub and on movies it worked OK but on music I could really hear where the receiver was unable to drive the sub and maintain the sustain on the bass notes.

So, I started pricing more powerful amplifiers. About the same time I visited the B-stock section of the SVS website and found a 25-31 PCi for 450. After selling my CS on Ebay I spent the same amount on a 300 watt amplifier built right into the sub as I would have buying separate.
I have a narrow room. It is 9' wide by 20' long. I have my system set up long ways, but the narrowness has always kept me from buying a cube sub. The other problem was that I was never impressed (on subs I could afford) with their musicality. I wanted a sub that was going to be a natural extension of my music (as well as shaking the walls of the house when I watched DVD!).
Because of the narrowness of the room I tried to satisfy my need for bass with some Paradigm Monitor 9 floorstanding speakers. Two problems. First the bass was not what I knew it should be and second the speakers were too large for my room. I wasn't getting the sound stage I wanted.
But, I knew that I couldn't put a cube in that room. Then, I started reading about SVSubwoofers and their great cylinder design. And walla! If I can't go out, why not go up? And actually, my wife liked the look of the cylnder better than the box.
Since I got the 25-31 I have rightsized my system, Monitor 3s, the 25-31 PCi CC-350, and Paradigm Mini-monitors in the back. I run it all with an Onkyo TX-DS747 although I am considering upgrading to a Sony ES receiver because I want DTS and equal power for all of my speakers.
So, what about this subwoofer. Before I tried to rip the roof off of the house I wanted to see if this sub was as musical as I had been led to believe. I put in one of my favorite jazz CDs. Reunion with McCoy Tyner and put out by Chesky Records. Suddenly, the album came into focus! Before the bass had been a mumbling but now it was tight, accurate, and the 300 watt amplifier was allowing the notes to decay naturally. The bass sounded like a bass and not a thump.
DVD movies are as good as everyone on this site has raved. The other night I was watching Ali and before his first championship fight there is succession of bass notes that just keep playing. My wife came down to complain. I had noticed them but they fit with the other speakers so well that I didn't realize they were traveling through the rest of the house.
This sub is loud, deep, and clean. Before SVS made it possible I could only imagine how much I was missing. Now, movies feel so "real" because they properly supported. Although the stories are a weak in the Star Wars movies so far they really work out the sub and the 25-31 gives you a real sense of the weight of the ships.
By the way, I tend to scan reviews here that are 5 stars on value and overall but here I am doing the same.

I have a 2.5 year old daughter and six week old son so the sub will be hibernating for a little while longer but in a little bit they will both think that it thunder's every night!

Purchased At:   www.svsubwoofers.com

Submitted by Gerald a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOW !!! I added the 25-31pc to my Bose 5.1 surrond sound system and I heard Bass I hadn'y ever heard watching DVD's. the couch shook and teh walls rattled. Tom and Ron at SVS were very helpful with ordering and tech. questions. I recieved e-mail responses within 24 hours. I would highly recommend SVS subs to anyone who wants the ultimate in home theater sound !!!

Purchased At:   directly from SVS

Submitted by Kate Dione a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the Superman of subs, though the "baby" of the SVS line. I got this sub last week, and it was shipped very securely but not in a double box like other people had received. Nevertheless, there was not a scratch, chip or mark on the sub after it was unboxed. Standing there, it had a nice presence and was covered in a velvety black material with a nice red and silver SVS logo near the bottom. I enlisted some help moving this thing into my basement. It's about 60lbs, a little under half my body weight. I hooked it up in the position that was vacated by the underpowered CV sub, and prayed. Like everyone else, I bought this sub without listening to it. I hoped that the rave reviews I read online were accurate. I crossed my fingers and hit play on my CD player. Nothing. Everything sounded the same. I was very dissappointed. D'oh!! I forgot to turn on the LFE channel on my receiver. A couple button presses later and the sub sprang to life. I was very different from the CV in that I could actually hear it (and yes I turned on the LFE channel for the CV) in my 12x18x9 room. After a little tweaking, the sub blended very nicely with my Klipsch RP3-II's and the room was filled with some wonderfully smooth, responsive bass. Okay, enough of that. I ripped open the DVD that I bought especially for this occasion and dropped it into my player. I went right to Chapter 20 and watched the Pod Race as recommended on the SVSubwoofer web site. Sweet mercy!!! My ears! The sub produced lows that I had never heard, so loudly and effortlessly without any distortion I thought I had damaged my hearing. I know I need to get an SPL meter to really get a good Bass level, but knowing what this thing can do beforehand was invaluable. I can't imagine what the other subs in the SVS line can do if I've got the small one and it performs like this. I highly recommend it for people with small to mid sized Home Theatre rooms. This is probably one of the best subs in the under $1500 range, in my opinion. Someone gave this 1 star, so to Balance it out, I'm giving it 2 5 star ratings. I would have given it 5 stars anyway.

Purchased At:   SVSubwoofers

Submitted by Greg a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Can't add much to the previous positive comments about this sub either. It cost me about $200 more than I had planned for a sub for my system and the purchase was made soley on the reviews on this site and SVS's. But... this is a fantastic sub and I am extremly happy that I spent the extra cash. Also, the people at SVS were awsome to deal with - very helpful and proud of their product for good reason. BTW, I am new to home theater and my system constists of:
Denon AVR1801
and the MONSTER SVS sub - this thing rocks the house

Purchased At:   svsubwoofers.com

Submitted by stan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
A great sub for an unbelievable price. Great extension and impact for movies but has good sound for music if you can cross over 80 hz or below. I use it with Martin Logan spkrs and a Denon receiver and it really blends well. Took a while to get best placement (in my case along the side wall about 2.5 ft from the corner) Flat extension below 30 hz in my room. The bigger models in the line go a little deeper but not much difference. Guys at SVS are a joy to work with and personally respond to any problems or questions. You can't go wrong with this sub.

Purchased At:   factory direct