SVS Model 16-46CS-Plus

Submitted by gmood1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great sub for HT!OK,I will admit I'am a HT nut.I've tried several subs and just wasn't satisfied with their performance.You all know what I'am talking about,always in the pursuit of something better.I went out on a limb and ordered the 16-46 plus and I wasn't disappointed.It has taken about two months to break this thing in. I've experimented with differnt amps to get the right effect.First using one of the six channels on my macintosh to power this monster.At 160 watts into 4 ohms it was clean but didn't have the punch I needed. Next was a Mackie 800 which did much better but seemed strained in sound tracks like jurrasic park 3!My next move was the GPS 900 peavey, JACKPOT!I bridged the amp to 900 watts and found what I was looking for.I have discovered that in order to achieve flat bass response from one of these monsters you need a hell of alot of clean power!Since I've tweaked and changed amp and settings in my reciever this thing hasn't bottomed out yet.I've watched movies that I have seen before and it's like watching them for the first time.You don't know what your missing until you own a SVS sub.It's truly possible to feel a movie.I spent a little more money than I intended to, but I will gladly put this sub up against subs costing thousands more.As far as music goes it might be too much for some,but if you want to feel the bass in your bones this is the one!Remeber a sub is only as good as the amp pushing it.These subs can handle 1000 watt peaks,so don't be afraid to put some juice on it or you may never get the full potential of one of this beauties.The bass is cleaner and more chesting slamming than any sub I have ever heard.That's right I almost forgot,I hardly hear this sub I just feel it!

Purchased At:   SVS web site