REL Acoustics Stadium II

Submitted by tho5 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
It has been an ever-ending obsession of finding the best subwoofer under 2K. After four years of experimenting different sub, more than ten years of the audio hobby and more than ten subwoofers came and left my system, I have learned a lot about the different characteristics of subwoofers, placement and setting up.

To make the story short, the REL Stadium II recently came to my system and I couldn't be any happier. It's difficult to understand what makes the REL sounds so good. It definitely sounds better than the Storm III I had before, even though it has less rated power! By far this is the most impressive subwoofer I have the pleasure of owning.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Cheong a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I decided to buy this after auditioning it at the dealer's shop. Initially thought of upgrading to the Storm III from the Strata, but after doing A-B tests on the Stadium II. There is an obvious tonal improvement on low freqs. The ARM loading gives the Stadium an edge, even though the power rating was lower than the Storm III.

At the same time I was testing out the Stadium, I also had the opportunity to listen to the M&K. The M&K's had more punch and was great on dynamic tracks. However, they also tended to produce some low-mid bass which drew attention to the sub as a source.

Certainly responding down to 12hz -6db has its benefits. I'd reckon that if anyone can't hear the diff between the Strata/Storm III and the Stadium II, its probably due to improper setup rather than the product's performance.

Submitted by calaudioman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got an incredible deal on this sub and
would pay more if I had to,it's that good.
Unfortunately,some people don't realize that
sound character is based on your complete
system being able to produce it's part of the link in the music signal. Using highend components this sub is awesome.
It improves the sound out of your front speakers so much that you will be bewildered.If you could'nt see the sub in my listening room, you would not know I was using one, it's that good.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Robert McAdam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bass is totally dependant on the room you are attempting to get good sound out off. It took me 6 months to get this sub working correctly in my room, it was worth it. But when I added another Stadium II the effect was awesome. If you can,t afford two good ones drop down to the next level and buy TWO. Two Rel Studio,s must be incredible. For the average lounge Stadium,s do the job, for home theatre as well without the boom. If you are running these on suspended wooden floors you must place them on granite or similiar surface, on top of a spiked subframe to get the best out of them. A sub for music buffs who also appreciate the odd movie(most movies contain music). You must run them off your power amps though, even for home theatre as directed and be prepared to play around with room positioning.

Purchased At:   Privately

Submitted by Jerry a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my review below dated 9/8/98.

I had the REL Stadium II in my music system and a Strata III in the HT system. Just for fun one day, I tried the Strata in place of the Stadium in the music system. What's this? A big - and unexpected - improvement with the smaller sub: significantly tighter, "faster", cleaner sound.

I think the port on the Stadium II contributes to the sound and makes it somewhat indistinct and "fuzzy" sounding, as if each note has a halo around it. Logically, I am thinking that a 4" port right next to a 10" driver, as on the Stadium II, may be the cause of this "halo effect". Visually, it would be like looking at the moon with a halo around it. The moon is very clear, but there is also the added light signature which adds to the moon's image. The sealed Strata is significantly cleaner sounding, completely eliminating this halo.

I ended up replacing the Stadium II with another Strata III. Then, I tried both Strata IIIs in the music system - WOW!!! With one sub, you get the bass notes; with two, you get the power and the majesty of the low end. The improvement going from one to two subs is extraordinary! Instead of buying a Stadium, I strongly recommend getting two Strata IIIs. This is about the same cost, but the quality of the bass is significantly better.

Note: I tried this in two very different rooms and the results were the same. See http://www.21stcenturyservices.com/audio for more information. Thanks, JerryS