REL Acoustics R505
MSRP  1999.95
Description: High-level connections, RCA inputs, gain-control, digital amplification and a 12, 500W-backed driver all in a closed-box cabinet for enhanced low-frequency reproduction make the R-505 from REL no mere subwoofer, but a true sub-bass system.

Submitted by ournewceleb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I demoed a R505 unit for several weeks. I mainly used the unit for 5 channel sound (i.e., movie applications) and for two channel applications, I attached to my main speakers as instructed. After some time, I also experimented with attaching to my center channel speaker.

My overall impression of the unit was good, but the quality did not blow me away (although I wanted to be blown away!). The unit performed adequately in terms of impact and punch for purpose of movies, although I did find slightly of the "boomy" side. I did experiment a lot with position and crossover setting, etc., this can be quite complicated. I never did seem to find a perfect set of conditions. For some DVDs there was a noticeable boomy character, especially when I was using in a center channel application..but this might be the fault of the DVD, who knows?

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by dogsday a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
I currently own a Rel R205 after auditioning a R505 I could only afford the 205 but when I stumbled across a going out of business sale the R505 fell in my lap and oh what joy .The R505 is a very musical deep bass machine,I hear my music like never before notes I did'nt recall hearing before.Movies are a room shaking affair, accurate and precise bass reproduction.I use both the R205&R505 in my system and they both satisfy although the R505 takes the show up a couple of notches.Rels are pricey so if you can afford one go for it ,they might not be for everyone but I saw them improve my sound on par with far more expensive speakers my fronts are Snell E5.

Purchased At:   Harvey electronics