REL Acoustics Q200E
Description: REL Q200E 200 watt active sub-bass system

Submitted by JAYNE HARVEY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I FIRST HEARD THE Q200E ROUND A FRIENDS AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED BY THIS SUB ABILITY TO INTERGRATE WITH MUSIC AND MULTI-CHANNEL SOUND.WITH MUSIC USING THE HIGH QUALITY NUETRIK CONNECTION IT INTERGRATES SEAMLESSLY AND IT WAS THIS INTERGRATION ABILITY THAT SOLD ME.I WENT TO SEVERAL RETAILERS TO BE DISAPPOINTED BY THE FACT THAT THEY DID NOT STOCK THE Q200E.I THEN CAME ACROSS HUGHES WHICH HAD IT IN STOCK AND GAVE ME A DEMO.I ALSO LISTENED TO THE STATRA III WHICH SOUNDED GOOD BUT WITH MOVIES IT LACKED THE OVERALL CHARACTER AND PUNCH OF THE Q200E.SO I BROUGHT THE Q200E AND PAYING ONLY £649.99 I FOUND IT TO BE SUPERB VALUE FOR MONEY.ONCE I GOT IT HOME AND SET IT UP IT CHANGED MY SYSTEMS ABILITY TEN FOLD.WHAT MEAN IS IVE NEVER HEARD SUCH A FINE SOUNDING PRODUCT. THE WAY IT ADDS THAT ALL IMPORTANT DEPTH AND DRIVE JUST HAS TO BE HEARD TO BE BELIVED.AS WITH MULTI-CHANNEL USE THE NUCLEAR EXPLOSION IN THE SUM OF ALL FEARS WAKES SATIN UP FROM THE DEPTHS AND THE PRECISION DRIVE AND TIMING IS SECOND TO NONE.

A POINT I SHOULD MAKE IS WHEN SETTING THIS BEAST UP MAKE SURE YOU SPEND PLENTY OF TIME ADJUSTING THE CROSSOVER TO GET THE BEST INTERGRATION.BASICALLY IF YOU CAN NOT DISTINCTIVELY HEAR THE SUB ITS INTERGRATED.AS FOR THE SUPPLIED SPIKE DO NOT USE THEM AS ALL THE LOW FREQUENCYS AND SOME INTERGRATION DISAPPEARS.THIS IS BECAUSE USING THE SPIKES DE-COUPLES THE WOOFER FROM THE FLOOR WICH LEANS OUT BASS RESPONSE IN RELS WORDS.THE MAIN THING THOUGH IS AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE SUPPLIED INSTRUCTIONS YOU WONT GO FAR WRONG.

WHEN USING THE LFE INPUTS I TRIED THE +12db INPUT TO FIND IT WAS LEAFUL.BY THIS I MEAN IT NOTE ONLY BOOSTED THE LOWER FREQUENCYS BUT THE OVERALL SPEED,DEPTH AND CHARACTER IMPROVED SIGNIFICANTLY.

Purchased At:   HUGHES ELECTRICAL

Submitted by pipo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
It sounds perfect, takes a while to setup with the amplifier to get it right for music and on the other hand for sound effects in DTS DVD movies.
I do not use the Neutrik Speakon Input because my amplifier send it together with the RFE info.

Purchased At:   (euro) Arnhem NL

Submitted by dvdfreak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is one sub that is absolute top notch if set up right! If you don't mind to tweak for some days or weeks till you are satisfied a angel will come in you're room (or maybe the devil himself!). This is one peace of high tech! This sub can go very low without giving a glimp. Tip Place the sub behind you're right speaker in a corner if possible. Place it on a flat peace of rock and also on top...the result is that the sub goes even lower and the bass output is without any distortion and the slam is.....a knock out!!

Purchased At:   Ettema Boelens Leeuw

Submitted by C C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
[[This is a review of the Q150E, posted here as there is not a section specifically for it]]

In almost every sense, the Q150E is an excellent subwoofer. Musically, it is difficult to top. I have used it in conjunction

with Klipsch RF7 and RF 3 II floorstanding speakers, and have tested it with Mirage and Vienna Acoustics speakers, as well.

In every case, it blends nicely, filling in where the mains leave-off.

That is its strength, really, its ability to blend musically with your main speakers, giving you a seamless transistion from

lower-mid range down to sub-audible. In the proper sized room, it plays nice and deep (more on room size momentarily).

The controlability of the REL is exceptional. There is the typical roll-off adjustment, combined with gain control not only

for the LFE input, but also for the high-level input, making it quite useful in 'bypass' or 'direct'mode.

Others have commented that modification of the Neutrik high-level input cable, specifically improving the conductors to actual

speaker wire, improves sound when using the high-level inputs. This may or may not be true, I have not actually done it

myself. I would be quite surprised if the improvement would be worth the trouble, but perfectionism is perfectionism.

Be sure, when you take this thing home, that you test it both with and without the supplied carpet spikes. Being on rather

thick carpet, they made quite a difference for me, especially given that the subwoofer weighs considerably less than most

other models I tested.

When tested 1-1 verses the Klipsch RSW10 and RSW12, the REL sounded superior, in volume, non-directionality, and in

musicality. I personally can not imagine paying the cost of the RSW12, when the REL is available for quite a bit less. The

RSW15 is obviously a superior subwoofer (though not the best at its price). Beautiful looking, and beautiful sounding, it

destroys the REL in an open room.

Room size is of great importance. The room into which I placed my REL Q150E is 2300 cubic feet. I managed to adjust the unit

so that it played sufficently loud for my original purposes, and was quite pleased with the sound of it. At first. Later, I

started to play at higher volume levels, especially for effects-oriented movies. I quickly found that the REL could not keep

up with my Klipsch RF7 setup in a room that size. There was no........impact. From a musical standpoint, the REL still

sounded quite nice, but it did not shake my floor the way I wanted. I should note also that the room has lousy acoustic

properties, absorbing a great deal of signal quickly.

I moved it to a much smaller room, and had much more success. Had I intended to keep my HT system in that room, the REL would

have been more than enough, especially given the great sound of it.

In order to maintain my system in the larger room, I purchased an SVS PC Plus 20-39, for $825, considerably less than the

Q150E. The impact was immediate. The floor shook, the walls shook, stuff in the garage below shook. Where the REL could not

keep up with my Klipsch high sensitivity speakers, the SVS blew them apart. It is more than I need, but I will keep it for

impact......it is nice to be at half gain and wonder if you need to turn it down.

I still have my REL. I am going to make it part of a secondary system in the smaller room for now, as I am quite in love with

the quality of the sound that it produces. Its small footpritn helps, too. In all honesty, the quality of sound from the REL

is as good as or better than the SVS; where quality and not volume is important, this sub is very nice. It is intended to

fill in for your main speakers, not blast the windows out in a THX setup, and that is exactly what it does the best.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by rob todd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
i have my REL200E sub for nearly three years now. I use it mainly for my 6.1 set up, but on odd times use it on my chord elt cpa4000 hifi.Build quality is outstanding. To get the best results out of the REL use the digital output on your surround amp and plug it into the right side phono plug, select mode 3, turn the gain to around the 9,oclock position, then the rolloff around 45hz, try keeping it away from corners of the room, have it facing you next to your front speakers, but not near your tv. IF you can place the sub on a small paving stone, then use a bit of bluetac to stop it moving, try not to use the spikes it came with.

Purchased At:   sevenoaks