Polk Audio PSW150
Description: 10" 200watt subwoofer

Submitted by matt jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have loved this subwoofer. It really packs a punch. I have moved a lot and now I have noticed some distortion but the sub is about 5 years old. I have had great success with polk subwoofers.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Fish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've read a few bad reviews here and thought I'd give my opinion. We've been using this sub for about 3 years and have had no problems whatsoever. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a speaker and is capable of being over-driven, (and blown up repetitively) as can be done to any speaker. I run it with the Amp turned up about 3/4 of the way and the crossover set to about 70Hz. I beat the heck out of this thing & think it's a great buy for the relatively low cost compared to some of the other subs in the same price range.

This sub has remained wonderfully tight and works well for HT as well as for music.

During our first year or so of usage this sub gave us 'hum' when the 'auto-on' was activated, but not receiving a signal. I would approach the sub and give it a firm 'whap' with the side of my fist and the 'hum would go away.

I guessed there was some external noise from the power line and knew the whole system could benefit from some line conditioning. We purchased a Monster Cable line conditioner, the HTS 5000, plugged in the sub, and never noticed the hum again.

Love this sub, great deal for the $$$.

Submitted by Carl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was bargain hunting at Circuit City Stores and found this sub for a great price. The MSRP is $650 and it's build quality is excellent. It weighs over 40 lbs and has an attractive simulated black wood finish. I bought it to suppliment bass in my home theater. I already own a Velodyne CT 100 so I daisy chained the Polk. As previous reviewers have commented, this sub lacks the volume for home theater but produced tight smooth bass. It cannot compete with the Velodyne even with the 200 watts rating of the Polk. It was rated well by Widescreen Review (1/98). This sub has been discontinued and it is a bargain for $200. However, I returned it and plan to buy another Velodyne.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a very clean sounding sub. I've never been disappointed with any polk product but this sub appears to lack power. The BU-120 is a sub that you felt, however the quality of the sound was lacking. The Infinity was okay for theater but was awful for music where as the PSW 150 was great for music nicely complimenting both my RT 7s and RT 55s but would not shake the room as the Infinity did for home theater. I took it back because I wanted a unit that would do both. I'm going to purchase a Velodine CT 120 to fit the bill.

I purchased the Polk because my Infinity BU-120 self destucted at 3:30am. My wife woke me up thinking the furnance was going to blow. I was in quick agreement. Stay away from this unit regardless of how inexpensive you can get one. There is a reason they are giving them away these days.

The polk is a real nice unit. I loved the smoothness this sub delivered but this is in part is it's weakness also. It is so smooth that it fails to deliver a significant "umph" when you would like.

Submitted by Sergio Barrios a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very very bad sub, the sound is more or less but the driver is very poor quality, very bad, I had to change it three times and allways the same trouble, the suspension got loose
because they use the cheapest glue that I have ever seen on a driver.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY IN POLK AUDIO!!!