Polk Audio PSW120
Description: Subwoofer

Submitted by donald essley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
i recently purchased a sony str875 receiver up grading from the old prologic receiver that i had held on to for years. when i hooked up the subwoofer and set the hz. down to 90 on the receiver i was amazed at the bass that it could produce without becoming dissorted. this sub packs alot of punch for its size and as far as i am concerned it will blow the adverage 10" sub out of the water!!!!

Purchased At:   circut city

Submitted by Carl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub was the display model at Circuit City and I bought it to add more bass to my Polk RT 5 speakers and it's compact size was easy to hide. I already have a Velodyne CT 10 but I wanted another sub without spending much $. I could not use line level connections from LFE out of my Yamaha 2095 as I got bad feedback. This can happen with some subs without LFE switch. So I used speaker in and out put to my Polk RT 5 with volume control at max. I was pleasently surprised to find it sounded very tight and blended in nicely with my other Polk speakers. It was no match for my Velodyne but it did add punch to balance the bass in my home theater. For the price I feel it is a good sub and better than others for it's size. It is discontinued but you could find it at Circuit City. They had a new one for $200.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Joel McKowan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had this subwoofer since I was in high school, and I'm a junior in college now. It's never disappointed me. In fact, I bought a second one just this year; now I have one in my dad's apartment Sony/Bose home theater and one in my dorm Marantz music system. I listen to music mostly, but it works amazingly well in that home theater. I just ordered a Polk PSW450 sub for the home theater because I want one PSW120 for each channel of my music system. I highly recommend this subwoofer if you want versatility combined with accurate and musical bass, especially in a smaller environment. You will have to get one used, though, because I don't think they make them anymore.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Jay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have this on loan from a friend. It's hooked up to an old JVC pro-logic reciever that runs 70W per side, if you can believe the manual. The mains are Klipsch KG3's. At significant volume, the sub all but disappears. This is not a sub for large rooms or pairings with efficient speakers. Fortunately, I didn't pay for mine but it gave me insight into what a sub can dimensionally add to your sound system. I will be looking into a more substantial sub that can hang with my Klipsch's

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great buy! This will give your system good bass at a price you cannot beat. The bass is very musical and strong. I listen to alot of hip hop and hard rock as well as other kinds of music, and even for these types requiring powerful boomy bass, this sub delivers! It is great for HT too, our movies sound awesome in Dobly Pro (soon to be digital). And with a dial for volume and crossover, you have the ability to get the right bass you want. Sounds great in my dorm room (even in my basement at home). Small enclosure too, a neccesity in a college dorm room. Doesn't dip as low as a 10 or 12, but at this price and with these great features, there's no complaints here. Perfect for my needs; great job Polk!