Polk Audio PSW1000
Description: <ul> <li>12-inch driver</li> <li>Lower distortion</li> <li>Low-resonance</li> <li>Low Pass Adjustment</li> </ul>

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
After two years of searching, having come to the conclusion that the DSW Micro Pro's were not doing for me, I finally managed to find this product from stock forgotten somewhere in a Wharehouse from Polk Direct. I connected my new subs past Friday and I can say with conviction that there is no sub- woofer better than the PSW1000. It is beautiful, is tight and handles all low notes with remarkable authority. As my son says, we are having a workout, with all the air that is being moved by the sub- woofer rushing into us. Thank you Polk for this awesome sub- woofer, pity you discontinued it!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by gmeredith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
I use my speakers in a two channel music only system. consisting of the Polk Lsi 15. . Depending on the recording, these speakers will at times sound thin if the recording does not contain deep bass content. Of course the sound is also effected by the acoustics of your listening room. I have since added the matching subwoofer (PSW1000), which caused the sound to bloom, become more dark and natural sounding compared to the original laboratory, pristine sound, caused a depth in the soundstage along with more bass weight on the deepest notes. The subwoofer helped to present a more lifelike presentation of the instruments and vocals. Also, with the sub online you could at times hear certain instruments even more distinguished than before, without the sub. I am sure I will go back and forth between listening with and without the sub online. As I said, these speakers were already good by themselves.

Product model year:   2007

Purchased At:   J & R Music World

Submitted by tony wilkins a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
Great tight bass response. I was surprised at he quickness of the drivers. I was initially concerned about the bass port in the rear because normally these are designed as a crutch to help the sub produce a note it is unable to other wise. This can some times make the bass boomy. However, the bass was surprisingly rich and very rounded. It has good authority. The weight of the unit is sufficient to avoid cabinet movement. With the drivers being installed in the sides helps the subwoofer to disappear. Yes sub-frequencies are omni directional, but lets face it you can tell the placement with some subwoofers when you close your eyes. The cabinet is beautiful rich real wood, which added a touch of class to the unit. I have always owned Velodyne subwoofers. I just sold 2 Velodyne HGS-15's because of needing to take up less room. So I very reluctantly branched out and tried a different manufacture. It is hard to beat a Velodyne for the cost, but this Polk Audio PSW1000 surprised me, while not having the Velodyne's authority and raw slam, it held its own for the price. I am very happy with it!

Purchased At:   Acoustic Sound Desig

Submitted by sburken a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a home theater sub and is thus fairly large. it performs admirably for music when turned low. When used for home theater though it can rock your world, the twin 10" drivers are nicely percussive, but are very clear and constant with longer notes. this sub is not the sonic equal of my svs monstrosity but it is immenently more mobile and thus serves as my school system sub. The looks of this thing are second to none though, i have researched subwoofers extensively and have yet to come across anything snappier under $3000. The sub is also very very solid in its construction to with 1.75" MDF walls. My one of my two complaints is that this sub cannot play deep with any power. At 20hz it is -6 to -10 db whereas my Svs can hit 14hz at the low setting -3 t0 -6 db. My other complaint is the lack of a remote. I hate getting up every time between movies and music, but oh well at least the control panel is on the front of the sub. I would recomend this sub to people who enjoy mainly movies, but some music. when dialed in the Psw1000 can play very loud with very low distortion and is thus excellent for WAF afflicted audiophiles and movie afficianados.

Purchased At:   Hifi buys