MTX Audio PS-15
Description: 15 inch 200 watt powered subwoofer

Submitted by g-moneyfunnybunny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
i have 25 of these crazy mofos in a single airspace chamber which takes up the entire bed of my 92 s10 i mean s15 or actually its a car its gotta be the loudest in my driveway the world or maybe even the universe or galaxy if aliens dont have subs in there space cruisers u gotta hear these to believe it is so loud omg i cant believe that i hit a 240db with just one and i have 20 i mean 25 and that one that hit a 240db didnt even have a amp hooked up i mean it did but there was no wires i mean there was but they were short and thin like your **** and that doesnt matter buy these subs cuz they are loud even one can hit any decibel level u want it doesnt matter u dont even need a amp or a signal it knows what to do!

Purchased At:   found in dumpster

Submitted by mjarve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I should note that all I am really commenting on are the drivers and the cabinet design.
I bought the sub with a blown-out power amp. Some ground wire shorted against the transformer and destroyed it. But it left the driver fully in tact. I removed the built-in power amp and connected a Peavey CS-400 proffesional power amp to it (400watts x1 in briding mode). With the DDT on (some sort of distortion compensation) it sounds very good, with no bottoming out or distortion at all. Withe the DDT disabled, the amp goes in to clipping well before the sub begins to distort, but eventually distort it does. My only real problem is that the cabinet is too light in weight. Even with the relatively heavy power amp sitting on top of it it dances accross the floor and hits the wall when I get too carried away with the volume. This sub easily out performs my old, home-made sub (dual 8" active woofers and dual 12" passive radiators) in terms of max SPL, but I feel my home made unit has more precision. Then again, my old unit is nearly twice the size of the MTX, and cost me nearly $900USD to build.
One thing I will probably do, though, is swap the position between the active woofer and passive radiator. The plastic 3D MTX logo on the passive radiator was cool at first, but now it just looks tacky.
Just for fun (I only paid $53USD) I decided to connect it to a QSC Powerlight proffesional power amp rated for 2500 watts x1 in bridging mode. I played the Eagles Hotel California from the Hell Freezes over CD. With my Denon AVR-5800 set to 00dB and the QSC turned up all the way the sub still held its own, bottoming out only once that I could hear. Not many consumer grade speakers stand up to that test and survive.
Additionally, since I have not heard one of these subs as they are comming from the factory, I will only give it average ratings.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by Mike Deegan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend this sub to anybody even if your getting a steel it will probaly break and it will cost you a lot to fix it,The first day i got it i acciedently hooked it up wrong and i poped the fuse, so i leanered that you have to hook the rca's before you plug it in. I got the sub back and Used it 2-3 times a week and honestly loved it for movies but not for music. I never pused it that hard and i made sure the led light stayed off. Then one day I was repositioning it an i did everything right and i went to turn it on and nothing happened I almost threw it out the window. I live in a town with 600,000 people and i cant find anyone to fix it. I have to send it back to mtx which might take a year with there service. So the sub is for sale to anyone who wants it but not for friends or family i dont want to make enemies with them. My svs2039cs and samson700 is on order and i cant wait

Purchased At:   Midwest audio

Submitted by Matt Patterson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Another great MTX product, I personally like the ps12 that my friend has better though. The ps15 goes far lower than you can hear, just feel most of the bass it puts out. Not an bit of distortion or amplifier clipping. No problems with an overheating amp either. Great Sub!!!

Purchased At:   Stereo West

Submitted by Richard Farner a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well I purchased this sub mainly because of the remote volume control to use for home theater use & got it for about $450. Well turns out remote is pretty erartic. The bass does go pretty deep & loud but is too slow to keep up with my main speakers. As in the review by Daniel my died on me also after a couple yrs. of light use, never really pushed it hard. I was listening at a very low volume one night when it started making a crackling sound, by the time I got over to unplug it it went up in smoke....guess the fuse in it didn't blow. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes, won't get another one espeically after reading the comments on their service.