Mirage Loudspeakers LF150
Description: <ul> <li>MOSFET Amplifier (for a clear, strong signal)</li> <li>Polypropylene Titanium Deposit Hybrid cone with Santaprene surrounds</li> <li>Polypropylene cones (provide ideal stiffness)</li> <li>150 Watt Continuous Power</li> </ul>

Submitted by meephis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
In response to the first two reviews i can only say that the person who owned it before you must have beat the heck out of it. This is with out a doubt an excellent home theatre subwoofer, not the loudest in its price range but certainly one of the most musical. If you guys are looking for something in about the same price range i would recommend going with a couple of different subs, one being the Energy S10.2. Energy is another member of API and the S10.2, while not quite as punchy as the LF-150(you'll notice this with music), is a little better in terms of total output(its only a couple of decibels) while maintaining a very smooth sound. Or, try the PSB subsonic 5i, which was featured in the August 2003 edition of SOUND & VISION magazine and featured the best bandwidth uniformity of the lot at 96%. Or if you want some real BANG! go with the Velodyne CHT-15 which also just happens to be featured in the same edition of S&V and features an earth-shaking 116db peak spl and can be found online for about $500-$600. Personally however, I found the LF-150's sound to be a very lively and musically pleasing, maintaining a very quick, tight, and especially smooth response through all frequencies 100Hz to bottom end. And to the person who wrote the first review, we rate subs in hz and not mhz, normally i wouldn't be so picky but 35mhz is a totally different frequency than 35hz. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything its just a little friendly help from one audio lover to another. As far as the home theatre delema the sub is not completely broken in so we shall see what the future holds, but so far it sounds great and output is fairly high, however your rooms may be a touch larger which makes a huge difference. As far as the distortion goes, its because someone pushed the driver too far, I did this on my old LF-100 when my reciever skipped up eight decibels when i barely touched the knob, needless to say I got rid of that reciever. Anyways someone pushed the driver to hard and may have slightly damaged the coil. In the case of the port noise, I have not had any problems, but once again we will see what the future holds. In any case i give it a five for value because it has excellent tonal quality, and I also give it a 4 over all because in all its glory it still has no place as a five- not sure any sub in this price range does. In closing, just just remember no speaker is perfect and they all have their flaws.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by markok a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit as my first sub and now I know why people spend $1000+ for a proper sub.

The bass is nice and tight for for music and general tv but for HT it just does not do the job.

Like another reviewer suggested many movies and DVD's, like Lord of the Rings -"Fellowship of the Ring", Gladiator etc., causes this driver to break-up terribly.

I examined the unit and found the PVC ports were actually loose. I e-mailed Mirage and they suggested re-glueing the PVC ports back in place with ABS cement. I did that and while the sound improved and the "rattling" stopped the driver still distort badly on low passages and on my receivers LFE test at 35 mhtz.

Mirage had commented "well, every product has it's limitations" - huh? A mid range sub that can't handle basic HT? Perhaps my expectations were too great.

I have my receiver set at -7db for the sub and it still breaks-up with any real challenging segments.

My Totem Staffs are way better with bass and they are not even subs.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by strakarpickup a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
To anwser to the last review.

The nasty noise i have mentioned, don't have nothing to do with lose parts. The best way i find to describe it is by calling it "turbelence". I think the noise is caused by the air passing throught the port. As fast it goes, more noise it delivers. I've already send it to repair cause the amplifier as broken, and mentioned this problem. The ports are now glued but the noise continue to "show up". I think this is not a problem with the sub itself, but a problem with the ports design.

If anyone have more opinions about this, they are very welcome! Like I said, like the sub performance, but simply hate this noise....
regards

Submitted by cnstar18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
Here is some info for the last guy who reveiwed this sub. I had a port noise that developed in its 6th month. It turned out to be a loose item inside the sub that took my local dealer one day to fix. Since then my sub, including the port, works flawlessly.

Submitted by strakarpickup a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have bought this sub instead of Energy cause the signal fase switch. They are very similar. the diference is that Mirage, has less distortion. It's very powerfull, and can easly fill up a room of 30 square meters of huge bass. When playing loud, you notice distortion almost in its limits (the sub playing loud was only for testing). It's also very well balanced. Overall a very good sub for its price, but.... I want to sell it....
Odd isn't it???
It as a problem that a can't live with it!! The flow ports are VERY VERY noisy! thamn...
I'm using denon 3803 witch is very powerful, at a reasonable sound level(between -20db and 0db), and with the sub set to -5db. even though, you can ear loud and clear that nasty noisy from the flow ports!!, very very irritating...
have to find something better....

Purchased At:   Digisom