Mirage Loudspeakers FRx-S10 BPS

Submitted by ED Ortega a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
Bought this sub for 140$ including delivery off of ebay to replace a VX-10 that was stolen from my storage, and I glad I did as much research as I did because this sub is far superior to the sub it replaced. The FRx-10 goes deeper and handles music and especialy movies so much better than the velodyne sub, of cousre I know that both subs are not on the same level if bought new, I just needed something to compare the mirage too. Any way Great job Mirage I can't wait to try one of your newer subs. Thanks

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by schwing_foodeater a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
While scouring about for a neat sounding subwoofer because my existing ones in my room didn't really pound the oomph out really satisfyingly at high levels, I stumbled upon the FRX-S10 down at my usual audio store. As there wasn't many people during the weekdays, I asked for a demo, and very sure, it shook up the whole store with meaty sound, and drew a small crowd to hear what is going on, I can say, that I was hooked on it.

At a bargain price of $300, I set it up alone with my old entry level tannoys, the bass had improved dramatically, the sound is chest pounding, meaty and it can go quite low for a sub of that price (to 25hz). When pushed up loud, I didn't detect any clipping (It seems that the Clipping Protection Circuitry worked well), It handles peaks without losing steam, compared to the many other subs that I find at his price range. However everyone should know that the driver does have a physical limit, and the sound tops off at a level. But that already equates to very loud level, especially that I had intended to use the FRX-S10 in my bedroom. The bass is punchy, and reasonably fast.

I then paired him up with my smaller existing Mirage FRX-S8, and they work very well together, and they can create pressure waves. *Boom*

One thing that the S-10 should have had, is a better set of High-Level Terminals... the spring clips doesn't match up to its sound here... but if you were to use only low level connections, that wouldn't be a problem.

Purchased At:   A Local Store

Submitted by Blundaar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
After listening to my friends(and this site),I decided to break down and purchase a subwoofer.It quickly came down to the Mirage or the Velodyne CHT-10 but,
at $250.00, the Mirage won out.
First,for those of you who do not own a
subwoofer,BUY ONE-preferably a good one like the Mirage.Responsive,clean sounding,and placement friendly,it's everything I want in a sub.Movies and music are handled equally well.Moving the
low frequencies out of my KEF's has really improved the overall sound and imaging of my system as well.I AM a happy camper!
Sony STRDB-930
KEF Q75 fronts,Q95C center
DCM surrounds

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
The FRX S10 completes my Mirage system (Frx 5 mains, Frx center, Frx 1 rears), and it blends beautifully with the rest of the system. The S10 was quite forgiving with placement, as it performed well in a few spots eventually settling in between the mains. Musically the tightness of the bass was incredible. The sub was also fairly "quick" when it needed to be, but performed best with slower music. Movies sound just as good; Saving Private Ryan felt much more intense with the S10 added to the system. The tanks rumbled, thunder hammered down, bombs flew, and the sub didn't miss a beat. What impressed me most was that everything sounded "realistic", not just haphazard rumbling and shaking. The receiver I use is a Denon 1801, which tends to lack somewhat when it comes to bass. Fortuneatly the S10 tends to make up for the Denon's shortcomings, it makes the whole system sound better, the bass remains powerful even with a receiver that isn't the best at pumping out huge sound. I am extremely happy with the performance of this sub (especially with a less than ideal room), and I even prefer it over the much more expensive BPS150i. A great sub, which in my opinion can't be touched in this price range.

Submitted by Jared Baldwin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Fantastic sound for music and not too shabby for home theater. Magnetic shielding also allows for maximum placement and the feet are adjustable to an uneven floor if you stack a washer or two when screwing them on. I think I'm going to buy one more.

Klipsch Stuff, Soon to be Mirage OM-9's.
Also a bunch of Sony stuff.

Purchased At:   Paragon Video and Stereo