Martin Logan Grotto

Submitted by SR14 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer to complete my HT set-up. As described in the other guys review 'it fills the room with sound' I've heard other subs that will shake your pants down during the movies, but not as accurate as this baby does. Especially with good recorded (LFE) DVD tracks, it is just amazing. For music it also seems to be great, but I have not integrated in Stereo yet because my front B&W's do the job pretty good. If you want a sub that fills the room with bass, this is the one to get. I'm saving for a Depth.

Purchased At:   Holland

Submitted by HTJedi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
What positives can't be said about the Grotto? It looks as good as it sounds, which is stunning. The bass is so clean. The sub can go down to 22hz and the stats are, if anything, understated. It is 250W RMS (350W) of pure bass. There are controls for line level crossovers (2ch), a 25hz-low level boost (+ or - 12dB), directional adjustments. A sub out for dual sub usage, LFE and stereo inputs. It truly has it all.

The best part of the sub is the fact it employs servo technology which is not featured in subwoofers at this price range. This allows for FAST and accurate frequency reproduction. This sub was made to keep up with Electrostatic speakers. Anyone who owns M-L speakers knows how great their standards are and why they are some of the best speakers available and the BEST electrostat speakers. The sub comes with spikes and it helps to anchor the sub to carpet and allows for even tigher bass. The sub is not ported, so its bass is clean and still powerful. If you love music, this is pretty much the only sub that will give you the experience you expect. If you are a strictly a home theater buff, this sub will deliver in spades but cheaper options may also satisfy you. home theater isn't as exacting as music in terms of accuracy and cleanliness of bass. If you are in some way going to listen to HD DVD or Blu Ray, this sub will show off the added resolution of the sound and will pay dividends in the future. Go for the Depth or Descent if you also want power (800W RMS). Those are KILLER subs and you'll make me jealous.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by lmck2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
purchased at the local magnolia. floor model for a steel because it was missing one of the spikes. (easy cure) One thing that's hardly mentioned is that there is a difference between "loudness" and volume. my previous sub played pretty loud, and i could feel vibrations on the couch. but this thing fills the entire house with sound. it's like being submersed in the sound, and it travels a long way. This sub is very adjustable for room idiosyncrasies. listening to this sub and also auditioning one from hsu research, which was excellent, makes me wonder about the spec's on some of the 1000watt plus subs i've heard at the local chain stores. it's only 250w but it sounds much better at all levels than most of the others i've heard.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by cborg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
After months of auditioning various peices to make my new two channel stereo system I finally found the perfect combination for my price range. The funny thing is that I thought that I would not need a sub since my Polk Lsi9 speakers had great bass for their size as any review you read will tell you.

I still felt after a few hundred listens of my pre sub system that I needed a little more bottom end. I researched and found that the Grotto was everything I wanted. This is the sub for all points of music and is so tweakable that it can be placed anywhere and mix with any set up. The Bass is so clean and so musical that i can't imagine that I wasted time in the listening room without it. It is truely worth every penny.

To hear drums as they should be is the biggest highlight for me. I reccommend putting on Steely Dan's - Aja - for an older recording and Switchfoot's - The Beautiful Letdown - for something newer. Not to mention about a thousand more...

Submitted by starguygwb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
A friend of mine said I needed a subwoofer when I sold my stereo to get into home theater. He said bass is bass, just get a cheapo. I bought a sony 12 inch sub. Used it for 2 years had it turned down so it wouldn't muddy my music. I finally decided enough is enough, bought this sub and hooked it up, and wow(helped that it was a demo)what a difference. I was missing so much bass its unreal, my stereo material sounds like what I used to have with my some what high end stereo system. And very musical, drums ARE different, and movies have impact like never before. One of the best buys I've ever done. This is a tweakers sub also, I haven't adjusted them too much yet.

Purchased At:   Almas hifi