M&K MX-150THX
Description: Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by Ajo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
I had simple little Aiwa ported sub that finally died after 12 years of use. Got it for 80 bucks. I buy this MK75 used for $125, and it absolutely sounds terrible. It just rumbles annoyingly. Its either full boom, or no sound at all. Not worth $125, not worth $2. $650, you've all got to be kidding.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by opaceo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchased this subwoofer 12 years ago and have been happy with it from day one. I have never had a problem with it. It’s tight, musical, fast, THX certified (unit pre dates the Ultra I or Ultra II categories although I doubt it would have any trouble qualifying for either) … a lot of features for the money. The only reason I gave it 4 stars in the overall rating is the rating page had the foot note “money no object” next to this field. Even with that being the case, this really is a 5 star product because if money were no object that, in theory, would apply to everything else in this setting at which point the room in which this speaker is used would not be appropriate for it. Speaking of … The room in which it is used is approximately 250 sq ft. at 8 ft of height or just over 2,000 cubic feet. The top side of this system consists of M&K S-125 L, C, R speakers across the front and a pair of the SS-150THX surrounds. The MX-150 has never failed to fill the room or keep up with the top side of the system. The only down side I can find to this product is M&K is no longer based in the US so should I have a service issue involving anything related to the drivers, I may have some trouble finding a place to get the repairs done. Service has been taken over in the US by “The Dolphin Group” which is apparently run by internet retailer Abt Electronics president Mike Abt. It seems like the primary recurring negative posted here is the enclosures’ size. For those who have remarked about this as a negative, all I can offer is I can't imagine a speaker enclosure with a pair of 12" drivers, in a push pull configuration, that can deliver 20 Hz performance in a package any smaller than this.

Submitted by brainsmile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
ABSOLUTELY the BEST subwoofer that you will ever get at an affordable price. I'm telling you this is worth double what I paid. It'll literally shake your boots off. My flat mates love it though my neighbors do not. I'm in London, UK and I gotta tell you that it's the perfect item for your home theater. Top of the line at a moderate price.

Purchased At:   Dealership

Submitted by Nick Donato a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I work as a salesman/installer for a Hi-Fi store. We carry M&K, Energy Loudspeakers, Polk Audio and others. I have listened to most of M&K's subs and bought the MX150 for my self. The MX150 is one of M&K's best. It is very tight for just 150w RMS. I use the spec RMS because M&K's amps have tons of headroom. It can dig low. 20Hz at least, if not lower.(Play the 20Hz sinewave test on the 5.1 audio toolkit disc.) I also have yet to hear it distort, break up or stress at all. My Marantz SR8200 is calibrated to THX reference level and I normally listen to movie sound tracks at -15db. Honestly, I'm afraid to push it to the point of distress. My windows rattled so bad when I tried with test signals they sounded like they were going to break. The MX150 is a great sub. If you want REAL subwoofer that can call down the THUNDER and are shopping in the $700+ range, I highly recommend you go listen it.

Purchased At:   Factory direct

Submitted by frankie1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the 150 Mark 2 THX Ultra

I cannot believe how good this subwoofer is. The subwoofer timing when on and off is very good. Music is very good, and films are simple great.

This will blow you away.

Purchased At:   Birmingham United Ki