KEF Coda S
Description: 250mm (10") long throw bass unit Integral 100W power amplifier Magnetically shielded Clean, room-friendly styling

Submitted by golfr1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well I've had this Sub for over a year now, and it continuously amazes those lucky enough to be in it's presence. I had looked at the HSU Research, Polk, Infinity and others, but none really impressed me. I was impressed by the Klipsch and the Velodyne, but alas my budget was not able to keep up w/ my desires as is usually the case for most of us. Now I took a big chance on this Sub by not hearing it before buying it...but I did my research here and elsewhere and decided to pull the trigger. And I've never looked back. If you can find one...buy it. You won't find one w/ more features or a tighter controlled response for the money...even if you pay more than twice what I did. I'm no audiophile, but I know those who are and they would not spare their criticism's to save my feelings. They all love my sub, even when they make fun of my mains.

I recently moved from a living area that was about 12 x 14 to one that is now 22 X 16 and I was concerned about the "quantity" of bass that I would now need. My wife still requests that I lower the gain so the chandelier downstairs doesn't vibrate. "It's all good!"

Submitted by Eric Townsend a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this as part of a growing home theater system since about 1999. Originally used on a plain-jane JVC Pro-Logic Receiver and now used on a THX Ultra Pioneer Elite system.
It can produce such high levels of bass that I can feel it anywhere in the house! My wife makes me keep the volume levels down...
This sub has a phase switch (0-180),
Level knob to adjust for crossover,
Volume knob to adjust the output to some extent beyond what the receiver puts out,
Line level and speaker level inputs as well as loop through,
auto on/off and a black ash finish.
This sub will not disappoint you!

Submitted by RA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Using this subwoofer in my small room with two Aura speakers has givem me the most satisfying listening experience of my life. Though I have paid a few thousand dollars in the past for speakers none have ever sounded better.
I feel guilty for getting them for 127 bucks because no one knew what they were when the bidding was going on.

Okay guilty is a bad word. I felt like smiling at the world and saying . . .

Na na na na na!

Submitted by Jeremy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Just to let you know, I own the KEF Model 25B, Not exactly a Coda S, but it has about the same physical specs: 10" woofer, 100 Watt amp, auto on-off, a phase switch, high pass crossover, stuff like that.

Considering that I didn't do any formal shopping for a subwoofer on its own, I think I did pretty well. I got this sub with the KEF Cresta 2's, they sounded nice together in the shop, and the dealer gave me a good price. I put the sub in the corner right behind my right speaker (there's not much room in my place) and have played with it: adjusted the crossover, adjusted the volume, moved it to different angles in relation to the wall, moved the port closer and farther away to see what sounds best. I now have the port facing the corner, at an angle, and the cross just above the bottom 50 Hz and the volume up a bit. It sounds fine this way with every bit of music I pass through it, be it David Bowie, Bjork, Dynamix 2, Star Wars music, The Planets, Heavy Metal, or movies. I let the Cresta 2's go full range, they sound terrible hooked into the High pass filter, no matter what it's set at. I really wish the thing went down to 20 Hz so I could hear what 20 Hz sounds like. But it has a good enough kick for movies and goes low enough for most music. And as for tightness of the bass... I've heard it sound boomy at times, but this was solved by turning down the volume (the gain level on the sub, whatever :). I think turning it toward the corner may have helped, too, but who knows. Anyway, it doesn't sound boomy to me now, so I figure it must be set up well enough. Now all I need is a surround sound receiver and a center channel, and my home theater will be complete.

In conclusion, the sub is great, at least for my limited experience with the species. The thing comes on readily when it hears a signal, and when it doesn't come on, it's because my main speakers are doing a fine job of playing the music themselves. (The crestas are great, BTW, they have enough bass to handle most music, really. The sub is just an added bonus to bring out the big booms!) It's pretty noisy when it turns off, and can also pop when it comes on, but I'm guessing this is normal behavior and I won't complain. It runs perfectly, though I'm dissapointed it doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of human hearing. But, since I was lucky enough to pick this sub without thinking about it, and it turned out great, I'm not going to complain about its specs. I give the value rating a 4 because it was a reasonable price, though I was hoping I could get lower than 38 Hz as rated in the manual with that money. Overall I give it a 4 instead of 5 ONLY because it doesn't go very low (I've heard a test tone of 31.5 through it, though, so I guess the rated 38 Hz is conservative).

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi 2000

Submitted by Len a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
Accessed by a Yamaha RXV-795A RDS Receiver this subwoofer generates a very defined and well controlled response.

100 Watts continuous power will satisfy vibration-seeking listeners, while subtle and directional impact is very pleasing.

Construction is sturdy and really well finished, as can be expected from KEF.

Taking into consideration its price, I don't think a cut in the rating because of the lack of an RC is deserved. Five stars here.