Jensen SW100

Submitted by v2p7wk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is about Jensen JS-1000A

This is a rather mundane (may be too kind) sub as it is. It indeed adds a few Hz to the low but the sound is hollow and boomy. It gives me a headache in less than 30 minutes. This sub uses a no-name (I mean literally) driver, which probably cost less than 5 dollars to purchase. So I decided to give the sub a make over. I replaced the original driver with a Dayton 12” DVC driver and threw in two lbs of Acousta-Stuf polyfill (this may not be necessary) in the box. The result is day and night. The low is now solid and well-extended. The sounds of organ and drum are so smooth and full that I can now use it all day long. The modification also significantly enhances the sound output. This is somewhat a surprise. I am not endorsing Dayton or Acousta-Stuf by any mean. I believe that just about any quality driver will drastically improve this sub. The downside is that the replacement parts cost more than the original sub purchasing price.

I am currently using this sub exclusively for music listening. Here is my system:

CD player: NAD 521i
Amp (stereo): custom-made 100W per channel tube(ECC88) /FET hybrid (I recently replaced the original Philips JAN tubes with a pair of used Telefunken, another very rewarding modification)
Main speakers: Klipsch KSB 3.1
Sub: Jensen JS-1000A (with a Dayton 12” DVC driver)

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by Tanner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
(note:this is a review on the js1000-a the old model) I bought the Jensen on boxing day and it impressed me alot at first i tried out alot of subs like the JBL PB10 but it was horrible for music and it doesnt go as loud as the jensen, despite the extra 50 watts. There was a velodyne on sale too but it was too much money for me,so i went with the jensen and i am glad i did. me and my girlfreind were watching Jurrasic Park 3 on DVD and you can Literaly "FEEL"the dinosaurs walking around my room! i love this subwoofer im gonna buy another one this summer for more bass. Heres my system:
Mains:Pro-Linear 5.6x2t's
Rears:Kenwood CRS-159
Center:Energy 22.2c
Subwoofer:Jensen JS1000-a
DVD player:playstation 2 (its for my son)
well over all the Jensen is an awsome sub especialy for the price almost no weaknesses exept to boomy but ive never heard a sub thats not(in my price range that is)

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Ken Williams a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
This thing rocks for the price. Last review I read said it was boomy. Well it is if you set your system for it. I have a Kenwood VR605 and was able to rid the boomy sound and by playing with the knobs on the sub to get the deep low end sound that I like.

Purchased At:   On Line

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am actually reviewing the JS1000-A, which I believe to be the new version of this sub. WOW, for the money, hands-down the best buy on the market right now. Big sound, pretty well detailed and not overly boomy. I looked at everything in a 10 or 12 inch sub from Jensen to Klipsch to Sony to Velodyne, Polk, JBL, and several others. I have to say that I am really impressed with what Jensen has done with the JS1000-A. It sounds as good or very nearly as good as any of the aforementioned brands for a ridiculously low price. I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR100 h/t receiver, Advent Eternity towers in front (dual 8" woofers, one 8" passive radiator, and a soft dome tweeter), Advent Baby II's in the back and an Advent Audio Focus center channel speaker. I was afraid that I was going to have to spend some pretty serious money to get a sub that would keep up with the rest of my speakers but I was pleasantly surprised. This thing sounds amazing, especially for the money. I could have spent more on a more prestigious name, but after hearing this, I couldn't justify it, this sub sounds that good! It has 100 watts rms, a phase switch, volume level, and a crossover frequency adjustment control, plus both line and speaker level inputs. Try this sub and forget for a moment the low price and the name that's on it, you will be impressed too.

Purchased At:   REX electronics

Submitted by Chris Trostle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I first heard that it was a Jensen and that it only had 100 watts rms I chuckled. I heard how much it was so I figured I'd give it a chance. There are better subs out there, but for the price you WILL NOT finda better sub. It sounds perfect watching movies. And its plenty loud, enough to tick off the neighbors. GET THE SUB!!!

Purchased At:   Sears (If I remember right...