Jensen MS500 Sub
Description: 15 in. 500watt rms Sunfire/subwoofer

Submitted by crowtree99 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to add my thoughts on this huge by large fugly box!
OMG!
Well it is in that rating now!
Bought this diamond on our local craigslist for $50 in perfect working order and used it as such for a short while but always found it to be too hollow and booming.
Then I read somewhere about raising subs off the floor on spikes as per floorstanders. Well I have plenty of spikes so selected the largest set I had, drilled and threaded them into the base and holy cow Batman!
I simply could not believe the difference! All traces of boominess had vanished now replaced by hard solid thick bass! A bit of fine tuning with the gain and crossover soon had it sounding like a $500 sub!
Next changes were to replace the original Jensen paper driver with an Adire Tempest 4 ohm driver I again found cheap and at the same time remove the original 6" long port tubes and replace them with 12" long pvc tubes.
This is where the OMG! rating comes in. Even the wife who thinks the sub is pug ugly can admire the bass it deals out especially on high octane action movies.
I truly do not think I could achieve the level of bass quality and total volume available for anything under $1000 now.
Total cost so far, $50 purchase and $90 for the Adire driver, pvc pipe and spikes I already had. So a grand total of $140 and about 2 hours work and I have a sub that will blow the windows out literally if I wanted to, still only need approx 25% gain on the Carver amp.

Submitted by Jeremy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I paid about $65 for this sub from a guy at a local auction site for my college!!! Talk about awesome!!! It has a lot of power and shakes everything near it. For the price this thing keeps up with most subs under $500, and from what I hear if you replace the driver in it the thing really is worth the $.... For $65 and no shipping or taxes to pay I think I got one heck of a deal. Even for $200 I would feel happy about my purchase.

Purchased At:   Local Auctionsite

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my MS500 experience. I took the plunge and ordered a car sub from 1cache.com. I researched the specs and went with the Pioneer TS-W384C due to its price ($75), low Qtc, low frequency response, 4 ohm rating, 350/700 watts, poly-injected cone, single-voice coil, 14" mounting hole (same as the Jensen's paper driver), 8 screw holes (3 of the holes matched perfectly, 5 had to be drilled new which is OK since the sub edge covered the other holes completely especially with weather-stripping that came with the Pioneer sub. Let me tell you, those of you who's using the 6-ohm Jensen paper driver are not maximizing the power of the Sunfire amp or the MS500. This new driver is tighter, more powerful, louder, looks cooler (silver compared to black). I'm very happy with this alteration. Installation is as easy as removing turning off the power, removing 8 screws, pull out the quick-connect wire clips, swaping the drivers, push on the wire clips (+ to red, - to black), and re-screwing. I can maximize the volume on the sub-amp without any distortion now. This is great at low volume if you want the thumps. At high volume, I turn it down to 1/2 volume on the sub-amp as it's too loud (not distorted mind you, just too damn loud--can't hear other sounds of the movie. I also found that if you stuff one of the port (not both since the SPL seems less loud) with rolled up fiberglass insulation, bass is even tighter. If you sit near the sub it feels like someone is kicking your chest. I highly recommend the MS500 and adding this or equivalent 4 ohm driver (to maximize the 500 watts output). I had no whistling problem with the port(s) probably because the Cerwin-Vega Vega 154 moves more air and causes more whistling. It may be a better driver at twice the price ($150 minimum). I place the Jensen paper driver in a home-made box and used it upstairs in my bedroom (passive with Radioshack crossover setup).

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Tight, low bass at twice the volume (with both subs at max setting) of my SW-15 (15 incher 200 watts sub). Cheap since Ubid messed up shipping weights (35# is only 1/2 what it should be). Needs more insulation. If there was air leaks, may need caulking inside to seal box up better (mine did not need it). May have cosmetic blemishes due to poor quality control and Fedex ground carelessness but nothing significant. Ideally would benefit from new 4 ohm polypropelene car sub driver to give even tighter and lower bass (paper is not as stiff and as durable). Amp is very powerful so becareful when you turn it on--make sure volume is on zero and never hook any wire up to it with it live as it will pop and may damage cheap driver. At 169+33 S+H it's a steal.
Sub has LFE in and out, RCA L/R input, high level 5-way binding posts in and out, and 3 tiny (1/4" diameter) knobs in back: GAIN (volume), PHASE (can turn continuously from 0-180 degrees, adjusts until bass sounds loudest), and CROSSOVER (40-160 Hz, to blend with main speakers). Grill is a stiff, black, perforated, ugly plastic sheet with JENSEN logo at bottom that won't fit very well even with velcro tape. I had to turn my sub to face my couch to hide its ugly face. I have small kids otherwise it's better looking without grill on. Driver is paper cone with green rubber surrounds. It has 100 oz magnet, rates at 6 ohm, and weighs 14# with single voice coil. It produce very loud, tight, low bass but distorts a little at maximum volume (375 watts into 6 ohm may be too much for this cheap driver).
I opened up the driver (8 hex-key, round screws) and noticed cross bracing but scant insulation (2 walls had loose, thin, fiberglass sheets of insulation). I got some R-20 from my attic and lined the walls thicker but careful to allow enough air space for ports to work. Ports are cardboard, 3" diameter and 6" in length. No real air leaks so caulking was not needed. Amp is hooked to driver with 18 gauge red and black wires spliced near driver (too short by default). I left this alone as I don't believe in the wire theory. Replacing the driver would be easy although will cost $100 minimum for a good high wattage poly, unicone driver.
Overall I'm happy with this sub and can't wait for the driver to blow so I can justify to my wife to buy new, better driver. I expect the amp to be durable as it's a Sunfire amp. Good luck and aim at $200-220 shipped pricing from Ubid. Email me with more questions. Huey :-)
P.S. BIC sub was also very good, loud, and tight except amp hums and pops with DVD track changes (got rid of it as it's very annoying in a quiet theater room). It can be had for $170 on Ubid. KLH is a great buy too as only $99 at Costco or Ubid. It's fine for a bedroom home theater and can rumble pretty well. More musical than the 15" subs but not as powerful of course. Audiosource SW-15 is also great if you can buy it for $200. Half as loud as the Jensen but also tight bass after you stuff it with insulation. I think the 15" Audiosource driver is better but too chicken to swap drivers since 375 watts may be too much for the Audiosource. The 8" Audiosource is really too small for any good shaking bass. I gave it to my in-laws. You can buy this on Ubid for $60-$80. My setup is as follows: Wharfedale MFM-7 for fronts (great mids and highs, bass is good at high volumes), BIC DV-62CLR center (great center by the way), Wharfedales Opal 50 rears (nice speakers too), and Audiosource SW-15 in front and Jensen next to my couch. Feels like someone is kicking you during gun shots and explosions shakes your gut. My DVD is Toshiba 3109 and Receiver is Onkyo 50 watts X 5. This setup is too loud to hear each other (have to yell to talk) at 1/2 volume on receiver and subs with NO distortion. At this volume you have to readjust all pictures on walls after movie as they are all crooked. Also the recessed lights tend to fall down a bit and needed pushing up. My wife hates me when we watch movies :-) Sorry for the long review but I love HT :-) Five star for value definitely. Four star for overall since there are always better subs.....for much more money. Under $500 category I feel this sub is best.

Purchased At:   http://www.ubid.com/cat/1226.asp