JBL PSW1000

Submitted by Brian S. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2012

Bottom Line:
The JBL PSW-1000 10", ported, amplified subwoofer has only recently seen any competition in its pricing tier. The tight, full bass looms as a serious preponderance of home-theater-system quality, more so than practically any other element.

Save that one listens to high-quality recordings of pipe organ concerts (32 ft. organ pipes resonate at 22 Hz.), the unit misses nothing. I got mine at Soundstage, for around 500.00. To this day, I just can't part with it.

Part of the reason is that powered subwoofers converted to Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Integrated Circuit controllers to modulate output--the comparative equivalent to an AM radio. PWM sounds 'digital', not real.

The PSW-1000 uses discrete board-level components, pure analog to the MOSFET power-transistors. Analog amplifiers consume more power, but so does my Corvette. I'm not going to buy 4-cylinder automatic. I want V-8, six-on-the-floor, because I'm a guy.

So it is with subwoofers. I want something that punches out tight, deep, accurate bass, because I'm a guy! The adjustments on the rear of the unit are a great aid to tuning the system, but once you're in the ballpark, a good equalizer is indispensable.

The amplifier is high-current (vs high-voltage). Current (amps) more readily lends itself to conversion to higher voltage when needed, than voltage lends itself to conversion to high-current when needed.

The design is more expensive to produce, it consumes somewhat more power for a given RMS power output, but I'm not going to go through life, and then one day, who knows when, listen to a real sound system and cry because I wasted the prime years of youth on PWM.

Submitted by MADI a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought the jbl pws1000 from Lazarous along with a jbl theater in a box ...amp w/satalites as well as built in sub with the satalite system(ran high out at first). *17 years later and 25 or different other powered sbwoofers through my theaters&stereos......running simotaneously with up to 3 suwoofers together along with it, from velodyne to klipsch and currently a paradigm up front with the psw1000 in surround right low pass.... *paid $245 as was floor model. The surround is 17yrs old&mint. Very durable hard working 10" and nice descrete jbl amp. Blends with tube systems and large power amps. Easy to match with other powered 10"'s and 12"'s. Blends well with Large moniters and small speakers what have you. . . sometimes with adjustments periodically as well as not so, with certain media&sometimes tracks. Large systems, rooms etc...

Submitted by Ervin Kusuma Perdana a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
I like my JBL PSW1000 with MDF body and dual input, I use with JBL home theatre amp. I think its best product from JBL (made in Canada) with power and crossover.

Submitted by Jimmy B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have this sub in s system with my Mackie MR8 monitors. It keeps up great!!! Looking for a second one like this now. I paid about $200 for this one, and would buy another, if at the same price. Eyerishtech@yahoo.com if anyone wants to sell theirs.

Submitted by sylverjim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had this sub from day one, and I think it is awesome!!!! I have used it at MSU parties and for home use and it is loud and clear. I only wish it had rubber surrounds because in time it will start to crack. When I was using it at a party at MSU, the only thing I was worried about was the amp getting too hot. It never failed but all I did was turn the gain down a bit and it was good for 16 hours straight at almost 1/2 volume and more!!! I want to upgrade, but I don't know to what and at what price I want to spend

Purchased At:   Circuit City