JBL DPS-10
Description: 150W Power Subwoofer

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have purchased this unit from Ebay new, and when it arrived, I could not wait to hear it in the house. I have only heard it at the store (Circuit City) and it sounded great there. I was using a JBL PSW1000, and this sub was great, but the Velodyne sounded a whole lot better. THe JBL sub was a great sub, but the age is where the new stuff is better. I am going to give the JBL to my dad, so he can get some use out of it. I have bose cubes and yamaha bookshelves. I use a Kenwood THX reciever and Kenwood DVD player. I would say I have a great hook up. The Velodyne sounded great and hit lows without problem. I think that it sounds lower than what it is stated in the book. The built is great, but the top needs TLC to keep it from being scratched. I have heard the 12inch and I think this hits better. I have only had this sub for about 5 days and I hope the qualty holds up. I was looking to get a JBL Northridge, because I have had a JBL and I would get another one, but the price I paid for this was great. Circuit City sell it for 485.00 then add tax your looking over 500.00. I paid 324.00 plus 30.00 shipping and thats it!! great deal. Look at reviews, listen at stores, and then CHECK EBAY FOR THE BETTER PRICE!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by mark sheets a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Puchased new in July 99, worked great until June of 2000. Went in for repairs at an authorized shop and got fixed,,,temporary, back in authorized shop in March 2001. Fixed again, temporary this time out of warranty, called JBL complained, Jbl said that they recieved a bad batch of circuit boards and transistors but would not extend my warranty. They did offer me a new sub for half off, didn't want the hassle. My JBL DPS 10 Subwoofer Electronics is still junk, Ill turn it into a passive sub. Hope yours doesn't do the same. When it goes, it sounds like the speakers are blowing up and the unit does not have to have sound passing thru the speakers; your reciever/ amplifier can be switched off.

Purchased At:   H.H.Gregg

Submitted by squiggy81 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub new off eBay in 2000. At first I was very pleased with it, especially considering the price. Approximately 1.5 to 2 years after purchasing it, it woke me up in the middle of the night making low frequency staticky type noises. It is now a makeshift nightstand in a guest bedroom.
During the time it was working, it was really a pretty good sounding little sub. The really low frequencies occassionally sounded a little sloppy, but you're probably going to get that with almost any sub in the 200 and below price range. If it hadn't broke on me, I would recommend it, but it did so I can't really.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by david piechowiak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
an absolute (best buy)adds a great demension to your home theater used with the polk r40 as your main speakers creates a superior sound system. this product is the best mid priced sub out there right now. if you are thinking of buying this sub i would advise to shell out the extra $75 or so and get the 12" version

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by Paul a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had been looking for a subwoofer to mate with my pair of JBL N24's and was actually leaning toward the AR sub. Sears was closing them out and I could have picked it up for about $135. I really wanted the JBL PB10 but the price difference between the JBl and the AR was too much to overcome. I happened to look at uBid and found the DPS-10 going for between $49 and $79. I was hesitant but the fact that it came with a 1 year warranty from JBL made the decision for me.

I picked mine up for $59.95 and then waited for it to arrive. As soon as it came I hooked it up to my old JVC Pro-Logic receiver via the subwoofer out. The sound out of the sub was practically non-existant. I next tried the speaker level connections and once I got it all hooked up and I started to play a CD I was blown away.

With the volume only half-way turned up on the sub I was able to easily rattle windows and shake pictures on the wall. Next I put in U-571 and played the depth-charge scene. I was floored. Not only could I hear the depth-charges try to rattle the submarine to pieces but I was also able to hear the ambient noise of the water outside the submarine. It was intense. Now I just hope that I don't break my lease.

In short - This would be a great sub for both music (I listen to rock and accappela) as well as movies at $150 to $200 but for $59 it is quite possibly the best sub ever.

Purchased At:   uBid