James EMB-1500
Description: <ul> <li>Dimensions: 18.5"h X 18.5"w X 18.5"d</li> <li>Frequency response: 18-100Hz +/- 2dB hz</li> <li>Minimun Power Requirements: 1500 Watts RMS</li> </ul>

Submitted by Dexter Toth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have 2 of the emb-1500's paired up with B and W 604's, Rotel processor and Parasound Classic amps running 250 x 7 into 8 ohms. I have experienced very good sub sound before, but nothing like the James emb-1500's. Don't let the size scare you....these things are tight and extremely musical without giving you a prodigious boom. When I first set them up, it took quite a while to dial them in for the sound I like. I listen to everything from classical to heavy metal and I am a dvd concert enthusiast. I like smooth transitions in my bass, but I also love to feel the kick drum in my chest and still have the bass line separated to a live concert quality....in other words, I ask a lot out of the reproduction of music.

After about 80 hours of break-in time, the 2 15's loosened up very nicely. At reference level volumes, these things will rip you a new one with no indication of chuffing or wheezing, as tight as any 10 inch I have ever heard but much more impressive. The whole while that you are experiencing arythmia, the bass stays out of the way of the rest of the music so well that it is the closest thing I have heard to being in a live rock concert, minus the distortion. Check out Black Label Society's Doom Troopin for a truly unique experience in DTS concert.

As far as perormance goes for movies, once you lock in the settings and turn the gain down on the processor for DTS reproductions, you will experience movies in a very special way...the 15's only react when called upon to do so, but do so in such a way that can only be described as phenomonal.

I am convinced that these subs deserve top billing and although there is no high pass filter and no fully adjustable phase gain (only 0 or 180, nothing in between) when you find the crossover setting and volume that works for you, prepare to be amazed, impressed and rocked all at once. These subs are what clean sound is all about. I have had many people tell me that experiencing my system with the James emb-1500's is just like being in a club. I should also mention that I started out with 2 of the emb-1000's and got extremely frustrated with them cutting out, and so made the step up to what everybody said would be overkill in the 2 1500's. Believe me, it is not overkill, it is musical, deep, caramel sound that truly enhances the musical and movie experience at any volume. I'm surprised more people do not have these things of beauty. Buy them, break them in and then enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! You will not regret this purchase.

Purchased At:   Pinnacle Home Techno

Submitted by justin jacob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a very good sounding sub, that is very clean,clear,detailed bass. Music performance is outstanding. This sub is great for music, but for movies, its not that intence. I highly recommend this for music.

Purchased At:   Music & Cinema