Infinity Systems IL120s
Description: video-shielded 500-watt amp 12" front-firing driver Bass Optimization System frequency response 28-150 Hz (±3dB)

Submitted by djbeaubien a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
i live in an apartment (i know overkill) so to try to test its capabilities i brought it over to a freinds house and hooked it up to his low budget reciever(pro-logic) but had to crank the volume on the sub as his unit had no sub level control, i did not have a chance to use rabos so i used the bypass switch.after about 6-7 hours of partying in his garage and my brother in law passed out,now 3 in the morning we desided to put in top gun turned it waaaaay up and was pleasantly surprised to hear it rip my freinds house apart,well close,movies were falling off their racks the walls were actually moving not vibrating,things outside the house were rattling and my passed out brother inlaw woke up and joined us for the rest of the movie still drunk but totally awake and cheering.the amp didn`t get as hot as i thought it would just very warm, i`ve always believed more is better even if you don`t use it, better quality of sound at a lower volume, it was a little boomy, now if i`d used rabos and a better reciever you bet it would sound much better, i`m very happy with this sub and read somewere online that it goes down to 17Hz at 85db ?? i would recommend this if you can get it for around $300-$400 shipped

Purchased At:   jeffs sound values

Submitted by tcoley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Well,, I have owned a pair of IL120's for and I have owned a pair of IL110's for my home theatre. I thought with as fantastic as the IL110's were that a pair of 120's would be even better. Unfortunately that is not the case. The 110's (which I still own one of for my smaller HT upstairs in the living room) totally kicked the 120's you know what! The 120's actually crack and pop when the action is the most intense. Yea, they play slightly lower, but christ, I have actually been embarrassed by them because they pop when I try to show people my system. I am sick of this! The IL110's never did this! They (the 110's) hit much harder and believe it or not seemed to move more air and never ever popped or gave out! I actually miss them. Thank goodness I still use one upstairs (it still spanks the 120). I have ordered a set of SV 16-46 pc plus to hopefully rid myself of ever having this problem again.
Oh, if any of you feel that I probably should have tried to tune them better don't! I actually moved them around, and around, and around, etc. using the provided RABOS that Infinity sent me, tuned the receiver, and had a rep from Circuit City come over to help, but, well here I am writing this report! They stink!

Purchased At:   Circuit City/UBID

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that I believe in using subwoofers for music and not movies. A true test of how well a sub is made comes through when playing a variety of music. My first sub was a M&K75. Since it was a sealed sub it sounded good with music, but lacked volume. Also it cost way too much for what you get, a flimsy, low tech driver and weak amp. I've also listend to the Velodyne CT100 and that was a mistake. The CT line is made for movies only. It was too slow for music use. Don't let the reviews fool you. The same goes for DefTech. subs and the Klipsch KSW12. They are movie subs only. I've also owned a M&K 125, and for some reason it never sounded good. It was hard as hell to get positioned right. Also, the components used doesn't justify the price. I have no respect for M&K anymore. They hype their product and sell cheaply made subs at a high price. Sure they sound good with music, but they push the envelope and try to make something innovative to push up the volume level.

I've listen to Velodyne FSR-12, and it was tight and went low, but again lacked volume. Also it would easy sound boomy is set wrong. I listed to the Boston 600 sub and it sounded pretty good for a ported 10 but the asking price was MSRP and I have yet to see it go on sale anywhere. Which brings me to my new sub, the Infinity IL120. I bought this because for $305 it was hard to pass up and I know Infinity makes solid, innovative products. I also liked the 500 watt digital amp and the built in EQ to tweek the sub's sound. When I first got the sub, I was shocked at the size. It looked like I bought a Star Wars robot. I'm turned off by big sized subs. The black finish is more like a tiger strip of dark grey and brown/black. I personally don't like the look. I should have gotten the maple instead.

My main sound system is currently not available so I just hooked up the sub using speaker line input to a old Sony system using tiny wires. My preliminary listening shows that this is a high qualtiy sub. For a 12" sub in a large ported box, it keeps up very well with the mains. It must be the high dampening of the amp and the low mass of the driver. I haven't even tweeked the RABOS EQ yet or even positioned it in an optimal spot, but it sound pretty darn good. It sounds good with all types of music. So far i'm very satisfied with the sub.

Submitted by football a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have only had the sub for a couple of weeks now, but one thing is for certain - RABOS is not an option - it is a requirement. Without it, the sub was actually loudest in the lower frequencies (30-35Hz), but it was so bloated, it sounded awful. After RABOS, the sub sounds more natural and well-integrated. I've got them working with planar speakers, but they do a pretty good job keeping up.

For the price I paid on ubid, this sub is an absolute steal. While it doesn't compare to the Paradigm Servo-15 or Martin Logan Descent, you cannot do better at the price. If you can get it for under $500, you can't go wrong.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by vh1979 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love the way the IL-120s sounds. Shakes the entire room during movies - cranks any kind of music from Bach to Fear Factory to Ludacris. Bad news... mine failed. 5-year warranty so no problem right? I take the unit to the service center and it's been there for four months. The service center has made several repair attempts and each time has found the damage to be more extensive. Each time they have consulted Infinity, the tech service reps keep throwing more parts at the thing instead of just replacing it. Meanwhile, the repair shop works on contract so they're only getting $50 to fix the unit - Infinity refuses to let them return it to them so the repair shop is stuck trying to fix it even though it's obviously shot. Meanwhile, I'm sitting at home with two Interlude tower speakers and no sub for FOUR MONTHS. I played this sub really hard to be sure - but I never let it play while distorted. Despite this, the power supply, power transistors, some type of microprocessor?, and at least a half dozen other components fried. If you don't like it loud like I do, then this sub is fine. Otherwise, shop around for something more durable or at least hope it never goes out becaues Infinity's warranty service is lame.