Infinity Systems BU-120
Description: Subwoofer, Powered, 150 Watt

Submitted by wright1d a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
Bought this new. Just after the warenty expired so did the sub. I let it sit for about 8months got it repaired by an authorized infinity place, when I picked it up the fellow was nice enough to tell me that it would happen again and it was just a short term repair (nice of him after he took my cash). Sure enough a year later same thing happened. Well the speaker sat for about 4 years now and I was itching to get a new sub... was discouraged by the $300+ price tag. I found a place (parts express) that sold new electronics for the subs. Spent $150, sawed the hole open about an 1 1/2 inch bigger then the original parts required and plugged the two wires into the speaker. This seems to have fixed me up once again and I now have an extra 100 watts of power I did not have before. This thing really moves air now.

Bottom line unless you plan on modifying it don't buy this product. I have since bought speakers for my cars and home and just can't bring my self to go back to infinity after this costly experience.

Purchased At:   Circut City

Submitted by jedi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
Same with me, i bought this sub in 2000 after 1 year, warranty is over, wow problem came, pop pop machine gun fire in my sub. send to workshop, fine no problem they repair for me. once repair when i switch on the power, the audio signal not even plug in yet, small pop pop sound still there, is very funny, infinity can't fix the problem, they always say this sub come without the holding relay. that's why when switch on pop sound came out. No bother keep using it for another 6 year. Just last month, this time not machine gun sound, far more worse. BOMB BOMB SOUND. is like a bomb. send to workshop for repair for the 2nd time in 7 years. This time they replaced a lot of spare parts. capacitor, power module, fuse...etc.. and they say the same story again. NO HOLDING RELAY. i tell myself this is the last time i will repair this sub. The sound is very good, nice looking 12". but circuit board is E class.. When you buy sub woofer make sure no pop pop sound when the power is ON. must with holding relay......... Velodyne, PSB, B&W is much more stable...... no H/K product anymore...

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was just reading these reviews & i can't believe my eyes seeing all the bad reviews on this sub!
I purchased mine in i believe 1999 or 2000 & it is used regularly. I haven't had a single problem with mine other than changing the fuse a couple of times. Maybe i am one of the lucky ones or something,who knows. One thing for sure, i likes mine.
I will state though, i fully agree with poster/reviewer #17.
It certainly has outlasted various speakers that is for sure.
I rarely hear any noise coming from it,when i do it is usually from my 2-way radios causing it to make farting noises.
So what i did was, pound another 6ft. ground rod in the ground & grounded the sub & voila, problem fixed.
I myself would not hesitate on buying another one if they were still in production.

Purchased At:   Video only

Submitted by jedi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Infinity BU120 is suck. I bought this unit in the year 2000. After six months this unit always bang bang da pop pop, like a small bomb. No bother I kept using, after 1 year this horror sound bang bang pop happened very often. Finally I decided to repair it. After 4 years the small bomb sound is coming back.. I can’t understand why BU120 is made in Canada but this Sub is so poor. Good looking but no world class sub. I decided to buy B&W 602 s3 loudspeaker to replace my Infinity loudspeaker. Infinity again. SUCKED.
I see the review of B&W602 s3 is good. I went for the AV show 2006 MALAYSIA no Infinity product anymore. Not a bad news after all.

Submitted by desade a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
like the majority here, we were awoken to the machine gun sound in the middle of the nite (why do these things happen at 2am?) and our first thought was "it must have been the cat chewing on wires" or something....
so this unit sat, since it was no longer under warranty...then i saw these forum postings recently, and i tried to fix it, after finding it cleaning my garage...
the amp is a poorly made class D, with the part# S53AMI on a metalized amp module, and also discovered several blow capacitors, here is the parts list to replace(from my own obsrevations, with some tech support from infinity aka harmon audio)--realizing if the amp module is garbage you wasted 5-10 dollars to qualify that. all capacitors must be upgraded from 50V to 100V rated, and i always recomend sprague--available from mouser electronics:
C6--NON-POLARIZED 10uF 100V
C24--NON-POLARIZED tantalum 50nF 100V
C1 & C2--4700uF 100V (could be 6800uF)
R46--1/4 or 1/2 watt 47 ohm
R23--1/4 or 1/2 watt 20 Kohm
also...noted possibly bad, or soon to be on its way out
C15 and C16--NON-POLARIZED 200uF 100V
C29--10uF 100V
C11--100uF 100V
This didnt fix the amp...stopped the machine gun sound, amazingly from the failure in C1. (large capacitance-larger than 220uF-capacitors "rarely" fail...C1 had absolutely NO capacitance measured accross its poles...However, the amp clips VERY easily now, anything more than a whisper....
So, i called infinity and asked them in no uncertain terms WTF? "why make a Sub, with a poly-butyl surround made to last 20-30 years, driven by a garbage amp that fails in a year?" Harmon has offered to replace the BU120 with a PS-12 for $160 dollars (plus shipping) and in order for them to honor it, i have to cut and send them the power cord, and a few inches of the speaker cone...The 3rd party company that made the class D amp module on this BU120 is no longer in buisness (hoorah!...sorta?)
PS-12 is a 300Watt amp, 12 inch speaker priced at 449.00 at crutchfield....and, given that this BU120 sub wont breathe again without a amp replacement (which can be done for about $150 bucks at parts express--requiring retro-fitting) it is more viable to take harmon's offer...
thanks for reading,