HSU Research VTF-1

Submitted by ChrisSL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
Note: This review was written by a compulsive researcher & passionate musician / movie viewer:

This sub is phenomenal. I struggled with the audiophile indecision of " More expensive sub by the same manufacture = better" phase, but in the end went with the HSU recommended sub for my room. No regrets.
I removed the carton and placed it in the middle the room. (I know, this is the worst place for a sub, but I enjoy being surprised.) Tried out the scene from "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" with the sonic charges. The ship's afterburners already had me convinced. My pants were shaking, but not in a bad way. The bass was loud and strong. Nothing like what I was used to. (Get to previous components in a moment).
I moved it into a previously detected 'sweet spot' in the room, shook my head smiling with complete satisfaction. The response is fast & tight. Bullets & explosions pump the chest with that discreet "umph" giving validity to movies.
I leave my system running on FM Radio stations while working, and have been distracted on quite a few occasions with areas unheard in songs I thought I knew.

Purchased At:   HSU

Submitted by kirkup a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
The new HSU VTF-1 is my first sub. I replaced my Bose 301s with bookshelf Ascend 170SE speakers. They are very clear and neutral, but lack bass-thus the sub. I did listen to more expensive subs from Paradigm and Klipsch. I ordered the VTF1 based on HSU's excellent reputation, return policy, and customer service. The sub turned out to be much better,and more, than expected. It is not boomie, but provides authority as in the Irish drums in The Celtic Ladies new CD. I listen mostly to music, however, when played with a DVD, such as Saving Pvt Ryan, it wil provide realistic, surround sound that shakes the house. For a small or medium size room, up to 3000 CF, it is more than I will ever need.l

Purchased At:   HSU Research