HSU Research HRSW10V
Description: Powered/Unpowered Subwoofer

Submitted by Tanvir Hafiz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I started my quest for a quality subwoofer about 2 years ago for my HT set-up that was only stereo to start with. My speakers are Magnapan 10.1's front and the Magnapan center. Anyone familiar with these planer speakers knows that they are very difficult to match with a subwoofer because of the difference in the method that they make the sound reproduction.
My first subwoofer was a M&K V-125. I auditioned it, liked how it sounded (at the store), and bought it on the spot (about $740). Well, in my home it didn't sound good. No matter where I put it, it sounded boomy and gave me a headache. My wife would leave the room whenever it was on, unless its volume was turned all the way down. It was useless to me, so I sold it on the internet (for $400) to a buyer who was happy to own it.
Next I bought a pair of BIC passive subwoofers for $72.00 apiece from Ubid (and powered them from a spare stereo power amp I had). These acually sounded better in my home than the M&K did. I don't know why, but I still wasn't satified.
On Audiogon, I saw a HSU 10V for sale for $260.00 used in "as new" condition, so I bought it. Now I'm sold on HSU Reseach products. This sub blends really well with the rest of my system.
It's discontinued now, but I'll only buy from HSU in the future if I upgrade this sub.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by David G a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
For a moderate sized room, in an HT application the HRSW10V makes sense for someone who has the spare amp channel to drive it ( this is a passive sub ). Being a ported design, it is a little "loose" and "boomy" but for $350 will push some good SPL's for home theater LFE. Unfortunately, it is too easy to make a clone yourself with better drivers ( and for less money ) for me to give this product a "highly recommended.

Submitted by Mark Z a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:
awesome sub for the price nice, tight deep bass and it blends like a dream with my mains... tannoy M3i recommend this a must hear in the price range.

Submitted by Jon a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit from a private party about two weeks ago. It came with the 150 watt amp; both the units were purchased new in June. I paid $400, which is an okay deal. I must say I am quite impressed by this sub. This sub is tight and accurate in both home theatre and music in my 12'x 15' living room. This sub is quite a bargain, even when paid the factory direct price. Nothing came close in my $350-$500 price range, which included the Velodyne VA1012XII, Paradigm PS1000, and Def Tech 12TL. My system also includes Sony 925, Panasonic 110, Paradigm 9's, CC-350, and Titans. The Hsu blends seamlessly with these speakers. I spoke with Dr. Hsu, and he recommeded this sub to me over the TN series. The only downside is the amp, which is not the dimensions of components. It's shaped like a rectangle, with the speaker outputs on one side, and the heat sink and all the controls on the other. Beyond that, I find this sub to be an excellent addition to any ht or listening room.