Energy Speaker Systems EXL-S10
Description: 10" ported subwoofer

Submitted by GIORGIO-ACE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer after listening to many subs at the same price range.I have to say that I was quite impressed by its performance.It produses rich bass and it is not at all boomy.I was quite pleased that it matched perfectly with the b&w speakers that I use for front,center and surround at my home cinema.I particularly enjoy the performance of the sub when playing music-dvds and dvd-audio.

Purchased At:   Local store

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Its a great sub. I have the set of energy speakers to match it. I originally went into my local hifi shop (world wide stereo-great service, love em) looking for the 8" sub. But I ended up with the ten. This is good and bad, because I realize it now that the 8" is quicker, but the 10" has a better sound. But this sub has been great, I listen to everything from classic rock to rap, and it does it all. I have it matched to my energy speakers and it mixes very well. I did however spend a while with the placement to get it right. It has to be away from the wall or else it will be all boom. I prefer a warm full sounding bass rather than a thumping bass and by keeping it away from the wall about 18" I achieved what I wanted. If you want thumping loud boom put it close to the wall. Also, as with all subs don't cheap out on the cable. I used the Monster Subwoofer specific cable and wow what a difference. Starting with the speakers for a year and now the sub, Energy has made me a believer.
My setup:
Onkyo Txds676
Energy e:XL 26's (front)
Energy e:XL C (Center)
Energy e:XL 16's (rears)
Energy e:XLs10 (sub)
(its an amazing setup that I would recommend to anyone)

Purchased At:   World Wide Stereo

Submitted by Torkil Braset a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my first sub as a part of my first surrond system. Still I've listened to quite a few others in my persecution of finding the best possible sub in my price-range. Examples: Mission, Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer.

I like:
- Looks nice. Especially good is that it doesn't have a glossy finish like its bigger brother e:XL-S12. Thats just vulgar.
- Auto On/Off.
- The high quality built-in 100 W Mosfet amplifier gives more than enough.
- That it's not to woofy.
- That it's has a fast bass wich make it capable off playing complicated and complex sound images really well. And doesn't only play one tone.
- Goes deep considering its size - 25Hz.
- Easy to place (sound-wise).
- Magnetic shielded. Ideal for close placement home theater applications.

I dislike:
- Nothing really. (but everything can allways get better)

Don't be afraid to buy it.

Purchased At:   Expert

Submitted by Brian M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great sub! Tight responsive bass. Liked it better than the Klipsch KSW-12.

Purchased At:   World Wide Stereo

Submitted by Mike Robinson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just bought some Energy A3+2's and they sound great, but were lacking deep bass. The e:XL-S10 is a perfect match and blends seamlessly with them. Excellent for movies or music. My wife complains that it rattles the dishes in the kitchen when it's on and turned up a little.

I did notice that you need to set the gain at about 3 for best sound. Much over that and it starts to "chuff". This is common with ported speakers, and one reason I preffer sealed. However, if you keep the volume down to reasonable levels, you'll get nice clean sound that's more than sufficient for a small to medium sized room.

If you can find one at a rock-bottom price, snatch it up before it's gone.

Purchased At:   Good Guys