Energy Speaker Systems ES-12

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
A follow up on my earlier post on the SUBWOOFER FROM HELL !
I found out that this was purchased as a factory second , just a scratch or something. Well that may be ,but this sub has been nothing but trouble. first thing it would never turn off from new , so before the year was up I took in to have them fix it under warranty . No problem took a month !!!! when I got it back I noticed a rattle, called the store they said bring it back. About a month later I took it back and the woofer had to be changed at MY COST !!! Energy did not respond to my emails , great service. Now a year later the sub likes to start on it's own with no other euipment on! I guess the amp or inputs are shorting. It's been unplugged now for about a month. No reply from Energy again to second email.Great service , and I own 2 pairs of Energy speakers bought new! I have no kids in my house and I only use the damm thing on weekends and after the first few months I had it turned lower as the thrill of a sub wears off on music. sound wise it's great, set up right ie: so you don't know it's there but this has been a nitemare. Guess what brand my next speaker products won't be!!

Purchased At:   audio shop

Submitted by Steve a

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had previously owned a JBL sub and was unsatisfied. It was ok on movies but very boomy on music. I heard this sub at a home theatre show and immediately knew that this was the replacement I was looking for.

Submitted by SuperDAVE a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought the ES-12 1&1/2 ago and It KICKS BASS!!!!I added the ES-12 to Bose 301's for music and 5 Bose 100's for movies with a Harmon/Kardon AVR 30. ES-12: $450; 301's:$350; 100's: $250 and AVR30: $600. For $1500 this system filled the small "Dormlike" rooms I have lived in since I had it with tremendous sound. When I added the ES-12 it brought everything that came out of my speakers to another level. If you want FEAL the sound comming out of your stereo, Buy this SUB.

Submitted by Will Choi a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I own and use 2 ES12s on my H/T system. They fit my system perfectly (for me, not for my neighbors). They add the deep bass that my system was previously weak on. My System:Boston Acoustics (BA) VR970 fronts
BA VR12 center
BA VRSPro surrounds
Energy ES12 x2 subs
Sony STRDA80es receiver
Sony DVPS7700 dvd player

My system sounded very good before adding the subs, but it lacked the low deep-end bass punch that I ws looking for. The sealed box design provides the tight, accurate bass I was looking for, and by having two, I got the volume I was looking for. There are a lot of louder subs out there, but volume does not equal fidelity. The controls on the back allow me to adjust for any null zones and allow my sub to fit seamlessly into the over system. The one gripe I have is not being able to set the volume knobs on the back past 2 1/2 without the bass becoming overpowering. I wish Energy had installed a more usable volume control. Otherwise I love this sub!

Submitted by saxomatic a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
This sub a high cost (900 can) and a low performance sub compared to a paradigm ps-1200 wich is 300 $ lower . The Sound dosn't punch , it roll over and over ....