Energy Speaker Systems ES-10

Submitted by E.H. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the Energy S8.2. I am sorry to post here but I have requested a catagory for the S8.2 for a while now. I have seen lots of posts on the message boards from people looking for a smaller sized sub that is good for music. Well, this is it! A true 100 watt RMS amp, 8" woofer, front panel controls for volume and low pass filter, and an audio/video contour switch. This sub pumps out TIGHT, accurate, musical bass down to about 35hz. It blends perfectly with my mains that also have 8" woofers. For movies, it fills in the lower frequencies that my mains couldn't reproduce. If you are looking for 20hz pressure waves to smack you in the gut, look elsewhere. Although, switching to the video mode with this sub will give you more boom. But,if you are looking for a fast, accurate, and very musical sub that doesn't take up much space, this is one to look at. Five stars for value because I don't believe you can get more performance for $275. Four stars overall because obviously there are subs out there that will give you more performance, they just cost a lot more?

Purchased At:   worldwide stereo

Submitted by Anthony Barry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I though this sub performed really well, then I hooked it up through my receiver (Sony SRDT-545, and yes it has the Hiss - still awaiting parts)to a cheapo hire DVD player, and the full effect was really felt.
Performance was enhanced by placing the sub onto of ceramic tiles on top of my lounge room carpet.
i would recomend this sub to anyone, and the best advice i receieved cam from the audio shop guy - spend the extra dollars...its well worth it (I was looking at the 8" prior to buying this one).

Purchased At:   Easter Hi Fi

Submitted by Salman Quazi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent sub!!

Purchased At:   N/A.

Submitted by Sol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this sub a week ago and watched U-571, every depth charge shook my windows. This sub rocks. It doesn't even compare with my old passive sub.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Reg Santo Tomas a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked up this sub about 6 months ago after reading an old Home Theater Mag article about the ultimate sub by crossing over this sub with the Paradigm Servo 15.

Originally, I listened to my stereo (and home theater) using the built in crossover of the Sunfire Theater Grand @80Hz: Active 20s dedicated to all frequencies above 80Hz and the Servo 15 handling everything 80Hz and below. While this gave me a more than satisfactory result, I had a yearning for tightening up that mid-bass region.

Enter the Energy XL-S10 subwoofer; at $299 it is a bargain! It is very compact so placement and moving it around the room was a breeze. And when integrated as a supplementary sub into my system, all the mid bass tightness I was yearning for had been fulfilled. Drum kicks sounded better and bass guitars sounded much tighter and more dynamic. I placed this sub slightly above floor level to further increase the tightness that I was looking for. Now, when I listen to music, there are no gaps in my system.

My few gripes about this sub is its limited range when used by itself. Obviously, it will not be able to reproduce sounds below about 40 Hz without beginning to distort somewhat during high impact movies. Also, it fails on the high end of the spectrum when going much above 80Hz at moderate listening levels. (The manual claims up to 100Hz but measurements indicate otherwise.)

That being said, the other alternative for me would be to buy full floor standing speakers but for now I am more than satisfied with this purchase. An excellent sub for music and a great value for upgrading your system for only $299.

My Audio Equipment: