Earthquake Supernova
Description: 580W POWERED SUB, 2 X 12" WOOFERS

Submitted by scottmayo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
Extremely powerful sub - will knock things off shelves, but not real linear. Distinct peak at around 70Hz, and nosedives below 20Hz (which is a surprise given a 15" speaker). Fantasic for movies, less so for music (but if only called upon to handle 25Hz-50Hz will be fine).
Mine, though, developed a 60Hz hum whenever plugged in - it appears to be a mechanical (transformer) problem, but also was audible at the speaker. I've had to send the plate amp and transformer back for work - which is a major pain.

Purchased At:   John Casler

Submitted by zcremator a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Outstanding massive fast accurate bass beat the heck out of my old 18" velodyne or even my Paradigm

Purchased At:   Mobile System

Submitted by Marcus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Pete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Let me just start by saying I have been looking for the perfect subwoofer. As you can see above I have tried a # of Subs.. I have been searching for about a month. I finally found the sub I was looking for.. Plenty of deep, punchy bass. It goes low, can definetly crank out the decibels. Great for music, and great for Home Theater. You can actually feel the room get pressurized on the low end & feel the punch from the kick drum. I am Finally happy I found a sub that is great in both environments.. I thought I would never find a unit that would satisfy me for under $2500. I was not looking to spend anywhere near that, not even $1500. But it is without a doubt, money well spent. In this case, you definetly get what you pay for.... (Not always the case though).. I am sure there are much better subs out there, but they are a lot more money.. But this sub is great, I do not know why you would need a better sub..

Purchased At:   The Sound Approach

Submitted by Brian Younce a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is for Andy B. who built his own. What 500 watt plate amp did you use? Is it the switching supply BA-212 made by Earthquake? Also, for $50 what type of cabinet materials did you use? Please don't say MDF because that junk won't hold up well for long with the pressures involved in this sub. That's why Earthquake uses 12-15 layers of Birch as the enclosure material, it's very strong and non-resonant. I'm glad you could build a similar sub for $660, but, considering new ones can be had for $999 with a full warranty and a great finish and proper materials the $660 doesn't look so good after all. Just my opinion. Don't take this to seriously, I'm just giving you a hard time.

BY