Earthquake MKV-12
Description: <ul> <li>One Magma-12 active driver</li> <li>One SLAPS-12 passive radiator</li> <li>One BA212 - 580 watts digital amp</li> <li>Multi-position remote sensor & control</li> </ul>

Submitted by timo2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
After suitable break-in-time I'm finally ready to write a review. This review is for the Earthquake Supernova MKV-12 with the new 600 watt amp instead of the 580 watt version. Simply put this subwoofer is awesome with any kind of program or source material. It's musical with music and explosive with home theater.

If there is any kind of LFE in a program this subwoofer picks it up even at low volume levels. It makes watching regular TV, movies, and music listening so much more enjoyable. I can't imagine how I went so long without one.

With music listening this subwoofer is outstanding. Its fast, its musical, it keeps the rhythm and pace with my towers, it blends very well, and it keeps me wrapped up in the music because of what it adds to my system. The bass is well defined, articulate, and smooth. The earthquake adds another dimension to soundstage that I never knew I was missing. It is so good at delivering bass that I now have my main speakers set to small even though they are rated down to 28Hz. I just prefer the bass the earthquake the delivers.

Before I added the Supernova MKV-12, the bass in my system was already good. I just didn't now how much better it could be. I knew I was missing a lot of information with home theater material, but it's been the music department that the Earthquake has really impressed me.

The depth and extension of the MKV-12 is unbelievable. With home theater material I just sit in awe. I have the volume level set to about 11 o'clock and let me tell you the Earthquake shakes the room and everything in it. When I didn't have to turn the volume level to max just to fell the bass, I knew I had a gem.

As a bonus, with music and especially home theater material there is absolutely no bass overhang at all. It stops on a dime when the LFE stops in movies. It's also dead silent in between passages. At moderate processor volumes, this subwoofer really rumbles. It really pressurizes a room and watching movies is such a joy now. I smile every time I get hit in the chest by an explosion or a T-Rex footstep. :)

This subwoofer is highly recommended to anyone who can afford it. If you wait long enough you can find a great deal on ebay or audiogon. I've demoed some of the best in the market and I must say, TO ME, this thing tops them all. In listening test it beat the DD and HGS series from Velodyne, it bested the Paradigm Servo-15, and B&W's ASW855 in the music department. All of the named subwoofers are good, but to me the Earthquake Supernova MKV-12 offered the best balance in music and home theater.

All of this is subjective though, because each time I demoed one of the above subwoofers all of them were in different types of rooms. If you think the room doesn't play a huge role then you are kidding yourself. The room needs as much adjustment to get flat as does tweaking your processor for the proper levels and distances. It would have been a much fairer comparison had I had all of them together in the same room, but thanks wishful thinking.

Enough said go get one!

Purchased At:   Direct from Factory

Submitted by T. Bell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
After suitable break-in-time I'm finally ready to write a review. This review is for the Supernova MKV-12 with the new 600 watt amp instead of the 580 watt version. Simply put this subwoofer is awesome with any kind of program material. It's musical with music and explosive with home theater.

If there is any kind of LFE effects in a program this subwoofer pick its up even at low volume levels. It makes watching regular TV, movies, and music listening so much more enjoyable. Having a high quality subwoofer in any system is a must.

There is absolutely no bass overhang at all. It's fast with music and stops on a dime when the LFE stops in movies. It's also dead silent in between passages. At moderate volumes this subwoofer really rumbles. It really pressurizes a room and shakes everything around it and in other rooms.

This subwoofer is highly recommended to anyone who can afford it. If you wait long enough you can find a great deal on ebay or audiogon. I've demoed some of the best in the market and I must say this thing tops them all. It beat the the DD and HGS series from Velodyne. Paradigm Servo-15, B&W's subwoofer, and SVS, which are very good by the way. Enough said go get one!

Purchased At:   Earthquake's Factory