Dayton  15" Titanic MkIII
Description: 15" driver, 1000W amp.

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
I used the 15" Dayton in a room about 20ft x 15ft, it sits in the corner facing into the length of the room. The crossover is set to 80Hz and I add a little EQ around 4.5dB on the amp at 22Hz just to compensate for the natural roll of of the sealed cabinet.
Play something like the pod race in Star Wars - or the martian heat ran on War of the Worlds and this thing will shake the couch and vibrate stuff all over the house. I have not heard the other top contenders in this price bracket such as the HSU VTF3 or the SVS offerings - I am sure these shake the house too. I bought the Dayton because it seemed like a lot of sub for the money - a 1000 watt amp with EQ adjust and a 15" 800 watt drive unit - and I bought it as a kit so saved around 150 bucks. One thing I did do was stuff the cabinet with polyfill to increase the effective box size - the Q seemed a little high based on simulated data in a 3 cu ft box. Since the driver is so heavy and thus not easy to install I did not experiment with and without the fill but it sounds tights and there is plenty of very LF extension with it. The driver seems to have almost limitless power, and sounds decent even moving at around 2" of excursion. I have heard the 15" HQ drive unit from parts express, and that seems to run out of steam much sooner under heavy LFE rumble.
The only minus is I think it would be better with big rubber feet rather than the spikes - but with that said mine is on a tile floor and it rattles unless it has some dampers under the spikes..... on carpet no big deal.
I read a review saying the 15" titanic has less extension than the 10" - I think that is inaccurate - there is no way a 10 inch cone with a 250 watt amp could reproduce the kind of house shaking air movement I get off this.
I would be interested to hear how this model compares with the ported variants such as the HSU.... I debated both for a while but of course both being mail order its hard to hear either.

Purchased At:   Parts Express

Submitted by Rex Russo a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought the kit version of this subwoofer. I'm a born again listener, but still a newbie. Yet, I'm positive of the results. I've heard others brag about their subs, and this one blows there subs away, hands down.

Purchased At:   Parts Express

Submitted by tho5 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
Dayton 15” subwoofer is a very solid performer. Directly compared it with the SVS 16-46 PCi and the Dayton is clearly better. It sounds tighter and has better slam. Tonality can be tightening up with filling poly fills in the cabinet. Added about three lbs of poly fills from Wal-Mart. The parametric EQ helps tailor the bass for the room and the sound preferred. Over all very impressed with little money spent.

Purchased At:   partsexpress