B&W ASW 500
Description: 10" Subwoofer - 70W Active Subwoofer

Submitted by Fargo73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer (Second hand: 102 euros + shipping on Ebay) to replace my AIWA TSW-45, which was not very musical (only very boomy).
My main use is in an Home Theatre chain (Yamaha DSP A-5 Amplifier, Mission 731LE Front, Kef Coda C centre and Yamaha NS E80 sorround) and I was surprised by the huge power of this subwoofer.

My old AIWA was about 50 watts, and could do a big noise (not actually music...). The ASW 500 really rocks! It makes my whole hosue tremble.
Maybe because of the position (in between the wall and sofa) I can really feel it in the stomach, but also glasses in the kitchen were trmbling!

But apart from the power itself, it is very musical, and does not make music bust (like the AIWA), but it really makes sound.

I'm using it with less than one third of the full volume, but it can really fill my room (which is 4x6 meters in the HT part, but extends for other 6x4 meters on one side) and I'm very surprised that someone found it not powerfull enough.

I haven't really tested it with music, but I would not expect any bad, after this first experience. It's a B&W with a Rotel mosfet amplifier, it is hard to beat!

Purchased At:   Second hand on Ebay

Submitted by Johnny Farm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was very impressed with this sub. Its very musical. Great for music and HT.
Solid and deep bass. Very good looks and beatiful finish.

Purchased At:   Particular

Submitted by dharub a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
WoW!!IS all I can say.
My favourite subwoofer paired with B&W 601 s3 Music has never sounded better.The 70 watts are underestimated..It can get pretty loud.Great tight bass blends beautifully with surrounds Not over bearing but you can still feel it.Way better with music than dvd But cant complain either way.

Purchased At:   stereo xchange

Submitted by Erin Tugwell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went out looking for a sub with intentions to buy something cheap and hopefully get something of good quality.
After looking at a number of smaller sized drivers (sony, yamaha) came across the b&w.
Now this was a name that stood out specially since i owned b&w Lm1 as my rears and loved them.
After watching u571 with and without i dont no how i went without it.
It is also great in stereo form with my Bose 301's adds the perfect amount of low bass they cant produce.

Thanx b&w for allowing people with low amounts of money have large amounts of quality that all your friends will be jealous of.

Purchased At:   Grenfill hi-fi

Submitted by zaxxon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the ASW500 for Home Theatre/Music use only after having a home theatre for about 6 months with no sub. Since installing the ASW500 its like having a brand new system! Sounds great especially on movies.