B&W ASW 4000
Description: 15" Subwoofer - 450 Watt Amplifier

Submitted by David Leslie a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
when i bought this sub i was under the illusion of greatness, When i connected the sub to the system i left it to earm up. Then the next day i slammed titan A.E, i was not suprised. THe anticpation was never overridden as with the kef.

The bass was seismic, and when i switched all the other subs on the house was on the verge of falling apart. The bass was literally out of this world. When all the subs are connected no cinema can near it, how ever the B&W on its own sounds like a over excertive fan. The airy noises were really annoying the port on the sub is supposed to to cut down port noise, this was not the case. The sub lack major definition as with the kef on some areas. The sub really dissapointed me.

Purchased At:   Private dealer

Submitted by luis antonio a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
we are not expert audiophiles.we let ours ears and my blood preassure make our decisions, and we were not dissapointed. our system consists of: a pioneer pro 710,pioneer dvd 38a, a b&k ref30, a b&k ref7250ii,a krell 250,a pair of b&w 802,a b&w htm1 and four rock solid .the b&w asw4000 feels right at home.besides using our ears and our blood pressure as a monitor, we did good amount of research by reading many magazines and especially this website, audioreview which is a compilation by many contributors. Thank you very much.

Purchased At:   sound advice

Submitted by Jon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
John at Audio Consultants was great, I knew I wanted to listen to this sub with the B&W 803's. My future speaker :) The sound was great, he had the sub set up perfect to match the speakers. Steve Winwood never sounded better. I had to have it. Got it home and it was even better in my family room. The 4000 showed me bass where there was none before, my car stereo subs (which hit sub 20hz) couldn't resolve some of the bass I was now hearing with the 4000 (to my pleasure). It is a fairly musical sub (not as quick as the REL), but they don't give you the impact of this truly great 15". I look forward to adding the rest of the 800 series to complete my theatre. Don't pass this sub up if you want powerful, clean and "quiet where it should be quiet" sub.

Purchased At:   Audio Consultants (Evanston)

Submitted by Pete a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
There are a slew of subwoofers in the market and trying
to decide on one that will be used purely as a subsonic
driver, from 15Hz to 30Hz, is really hard to accomplish.
Most subwoofers are designed to operate in the Bass
region from 25/30Hz and up and are really just woofer
modules. Subsonic to me means pressure waves that you
only feel. So far the only subsonic drivers I know are
from motor driven ContraBass, Krell's new MRS and the Wilson Audio's XSs. So much for that!

I just picked up the ASW4000 and really haven't had
a chance to sit down and listen. I want to have it
go through the break-in period of a week or so before
listening to its performance. I am currently using
the HGS18, Energy EXL18 and Paradigm's Servo 15. For
subsonic extension of 25Hz and lower the Velos do the
best job of the three. Value rating was weighted
purely out of price against the other three. Overall
rating is still to be decided but a five for now.

Submitted by Michael Dryden a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Fast & Accurate.

Enormous connection capabililties; allowing parallel runs of LFE (from the subwoofer out on the pre-amp) and stereo speaker in, from your amplifier.

The speaker will uniformly augment the lower end of your mains, and step in quickly to deliver the ultra lows: I'm not sure that there is a bass note this unit can't reproduce.

I've tuned the sub to handle 50hz and down, coupled with my N802s: you can not discern when one drops off and the other starts; seemless music; and there is more source material below 50hz that I thought.