B&W ASW 2000
Description: 12" Subwoofer - 175 Watts

Submitted by CARL HAUSKI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Awesome sound. I've broken more picture frames and rearranged the china cabinet more times then my wife wants to remember. Check out the Haunting DVD- the windows were actually flexing, Pops who is 60 yrs. old states "That's one woofer!"

Purchased At:   AUDIO EMPORIUM

Submitted by Jon Wellington a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Being very happy with my DM603s2 speakers, I was very excited to finally purchase this subwoofer. However, I was very dissappointed with it when I finally got it set up and playing. While there was pretty good punch, the sub just didn't reach down real low. That's the main reason I wanted a sub. I don't need to scare the neighbors. I just wanted a sub that will reproduce the lowest musical passages and the real bass that's in movies, not exaggerated boomy explosions. This sub simply didn't deliver. I tried placing the subs in different places in the room and evrey spot in between. I must have lifted this 70+ lb behemoth 50 times to move it. Sad to say, I can not recommend this sub.

Purchased At:   Web

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub kick ass.
I compared it with the asw 1000 and must say there is a world to difference.It has a 10" bass in a small cabinet but the 700w build in amp has completly control even at high volumes.It has built in adjustlble low/high cut frequenses from 50 to 150hz and ajustble volume.This is not a big clumsy box who will fill almost a 1/3 sq meter. its just heigt 12.4in/
width 12.4in/depth 15.8in and have only a 15 litres volume.
It even plays well in 2 channel and you can`t tell from where you have placed the sub.In home theatre the asw2500 just are there when you need it and not before (or after).The asw 2500 hit you right in your stomac, just as you want it to, with a clean tight "fist", and goes never muddy like the asw 1000.
I have placed the sub between my one front speaker and tv
and must say it gives me the perfect sound picture.This sub does not have to be placed in a corner to get the last punch out of it. The asw 2500 just give it to you.
I just say one thing buy it.

I heard it with:
preamp:nad 216 thx

Purchased At:   hifi club

Submitted by Jay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is too bad that B&W has discontinued this sub. I had to settle for the ASW1000. Now I'm thinking I should have gone with the new ASW2500 that is a 10" high amp tighter base. They are trying to copy some of the other high amp subs. I have complained to B&W to bring back the ASW2000 and to add a 12 inch line to the high amp. Do any of you agree?

Can someone please start a ASW2500 review?

Submitted by Arthur Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
This sub was never one that I have intended to keep as my original purchase was to be a 3000 model. For a moment I thought I might keep it and save some$$ but after putting it really through it's paces it is nice but I find it lacking in some respects.

Coming off of a Marantz SR 8000

The good: Full sound, good ability to adjust. Great volume level. Sound Pressure Level great.

The bad: At very high listening levels the sub becomes directional due to popping and woofer not really able to handle what I'm pushing to it. Have to play with a combination of turning the gain down and adjusting the low pass filter to a lower level. A great demo Disc is "The Haunting"; try it on the scene where the bed comes around her; you can see what I'm talking about. Bought a Paradigm Servo 15 and ran it side by side for comparison with the B&W. Granted the Par. is a bit more costly and has bigger speaker and more watts but on the same passages the Par. handled with ease and no popping or distortion. Plus it drops to a lower Hz. However, in certain music passages I actually prefer the 2000 as it nicely fills the space between my Mains and the lower ranges. Now I'm thinking of keeping BOTH!!! However, if forced to make a choice I would return the B&W and keep the Paradigm. The Par is a bit tighter and more accurate as well. Also play deeper at lower volume levels.

Much depends on your room size, mine is rather large, 23 x 18; and how you choose to adjust the unit. I see the postings below discussing how you need to adjust between movies and music and I would agree with that.. Who knows, I may sell mine; let me know if interested. Would have loved that 3000 I'm sure!