Axiom Speaker Company Epicenter EP-350
Description: 200 Watt 12" aluminum woofer; Freq. Resp.30-120Hz

Submitted by jkirchner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub to replace my older JBL sub. After doing some online research I ordered the sub. I must say that the representatives at axiom are very helpful and easy to talk to. My order arrived in two days in excelent shape. Saddly this is the best part of my experience with this sub. After I recieved it I hooked it up and placed it the sweet spot in my HT room. I had very high hopes for this sub. I was soon disapointed. The sub did not reproduce bass as well as my JBL. It was very boomy and I could deffinitely here some port chaffing. I decided to work on placement and proceeded to move the sub all over my room. It sounded pretty much the same. I even brought over a klipsch subwwofer for comparison (it sounded better). The technical support at axiom tried very hard to help me with my problem, but nothing worked. I sent it back. I am using my old JBL now. It honestly was notticably better than the axiom. It might not play as loud, but at least it is not as "boomy". I will probably go with a SVS or Paradigm subwoofer.

Purchased At:   axiom audio

Submitted by mileysubet a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
So far I love this SUB. As for the chuffing reported in the other articals, I have yet to notice it. Movies and videos sound great on this sub

Purchased At:   axiom

Submitted by mj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Size, weight and finish (boston cherry) were are equivalent to what would be expected from a subwoofer of this price and design.
The EP350 integrates seamlessly with the other Axiom speaker in my config (M60s, QS8s, VP150) and once the crossover setting preferences were determined, the sub produced heavy bass sounds that were fairly tight for music and punchy when necessary for home theatre. Volume/gain is adjustable to the users preference. My walls and ceilings certainly rumbled with the EP350 and 2 floors up, my dogs were cowering from the thoughts of an oncoming thunderstorm. The EP350 definitely has a good deep range.

The best placement position always seemed to be up front next to the M60s although a phase switch on the back was helpful in attempting other placements of the sub around the room.

Unfortunately for a subwoofer in this price range, one would expect rather stellar performance even under trying conditions and this is where the EP350 fails. Popular dvds such as Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Attack of the Clones (to mention just 2) may have over-rendered bass notes throughout the dvd but the nearly $1000 EP350 should be able to handle them, and it does not.
Port chuff was very evident and often constant when tested with explosions, drum banging or other typically deep rumbles with sound ranges from 20hz up to 55hz (approx.).
Note that the settings on this sub during these tests were 0 degree phase, 40% (or LESS) volume/gain.
Even with the gain set at the 20% level, port chuff was still evident in the LOTR dvd, Mines of Moria scene, goblin drum (as well as several other dvd movies). This constantly detracts from the sound of the movie and was very much a disappointment.

For everyday music use and about 80-85% of home theatre application the EP350 performs its duties superbly. However, at a cost of $1000 for the EP350, port chuff should not be an issue, unless of course the sub (or any sub) is really pushed hard and in this case, it didn't take much at all.

My equipment includes:
Onkyo DS797 a/v receiver
Panasonic dvd CV52
Ultralink 10awg standard cable
Toshiba 50HDX82 rptv

My ranking and reasoning for this product:
Value: 2 stars "little expensive" (i feel it is overpriced)
Overall rating: 4 stars "very good product" (i believe the sub still performs quite admirably and definitely shakes my listening room and beyond)

Purchased At:   Axiom online

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
First I want to tell ya that I shopped a while for a sub taking 3 back to the store for a complete refund.Problems ranging from no musical quality at all to just sounding like pure trash.Thought they would sound better at home on my system.WRONG.Then I found out about this Canadian speaker co on the Audioshops website.I then handed down my Bose system to my son and purchased all Axioms.I must say what a great sub.This thing gave me a smile right out of the box with that beutiful 12 inch aluminum woofer.Its fairly expensive but worth every penny.Ive heard garbage in this price range.Although its great for movies it shines for music too.Bass players come alive while listing to my favorite cds.I cant say enough about Axiom.Nothing but kick a.. products.Check out Axioms website and see for yourself,or surf over to the audioshops website.Marc is very helpful.

Purchased At:   The Audioshop