Athena Technologies P1
Description: Bandpass subwoofer design with 6.5" woofer. 75 watt internal amplifier 35-150 Hz

Submitted by DaveHK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you live ina small room and are on a budget, this is a great little sub. I don't recomend the matching speakers they sell with it, I use it as a stand alone sub. Provides ample bass for a small room and if you have large front speakers. I don't like loud boomy gut wrenching bass.
Don't pay more than 200 dollars for this sub.

Purchased At:   Barrets

Submitted by Mikey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
The previous review of this product was done by me, and I wish I had the opportunity to take it back. After lending my s-1 p-1 combination to my brother so he could get a start on his home theatre, I noticed an incredible difference in the quality of this sub. I previously had the speakers in a very large room (20x24x8). Since the change, the set up is in a much smaller room, and now I have the opportunity to see what they are really capable of. I just wish I was more aware of this earlier so I didn't bring down the rating. This sub is definitely a quality product, but it MUST be used in a smaller room or you won't be able to tell if it is on or off. If you have a larger room like I do, and you want to fill it up with clear and powerful bass, it is essential to step up to either the s-2 or s-3 Athena subwoofers.

Purchased At:   Visions

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, I have a long road to travel before I become an audio expert in any capacity. I do however know a fair amount, and must say that I'm somewhat disappointed with this product. Now before you think "shut up fool" just hear me out. Speaker-wise, my system at the moment is comprised of a pair of 200 watt s-3's in the front, a c-1 center, and a pair of s-1's mounted on top of the pair of p-1's for rears. I gotta say, the sound produced by these p1 subs is pretty sweet, but I do find them a touch under powered. The sub simply isn't large enough to accomodate even mid range feeds in certain movies. Suffice to say it shakes itself out of it's own boots. I think that it might be that it's frequency is only 35-150 Hz so bottom line, it just can't handle the relatively low feeds. In many instances, I have to keep the output of the sub very low just so it doesn't distort. I am starting to look into getting a powered subwoofer, an 8 inch velodyne perhaps, because as nice as these p-1's are, they don't provide a rumble that you can really feel in your gut when something explodes on screen. Nevertheless, I don't think I would get rid of them. Don't get me wrong, they still function nicely, and a powered sub will only enhance it more. I would however consider the p-1's more of a back up than a primary source of bass. But maybe I'm just being a dork. What can I expect from a 75 watt sub???

Purchased At:   Visions Electronics

Submitted by Bruce Greer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased these in an S1/P1 pair configuration and even after hearing these at the dealer, I was still impressed by the sound. Though they are rather new, I have pumped electronic, folk, blues, rock, and classical through them without any hicups. Even female vocals were clear, crisp, and without distortion. Eventually I plan to invest in purchasing (2) more S1's and a C1 to complete my theatre. Highly reccomend.