Aperion Audio S-8APR
Description: With 150 watts of continuous power it can emulate the gargantuan rumblings of dinosaur feet in a movie soundtrack, while maintaining the tight transience to accurately reproduce the smallest nuances in your music. Please note, the S-8, S-8PR and S-8APR all share the same specs.

Submitted by jadecker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recently replaced my stereo speakers with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s v3. As an acoustic bass player myself, I gave them a try knowing that I'd eventually want a sub. I slowly researched subwoofers while thoroughly enjoying the Paradigms and their surprising bass response for such small speakers. I listened to quite a few in shops and found that many of them seemed to be designed to accompany home theatre and seemed to, to my ear, overemphasize extreme lows in stereo listening. I became somewhat disenchanted with the idea of a sub in that the only ones I heard which seemed to meet my criteria, didn't meet my budget (think higher end of the product lines from B&W and Martin Logan). After reading reviews here and elsewhere about the Aperion S8-APR, and in light of their liberal return policy, I decided to give it a try. I was initially unimpressed. I have a Nakamichi AV-500, which has no documentation for sub control and the sound was negligibly different with or without the sub. I then figured out how to up the sub output and the sub came to life. Then, over the next several weeks, I had to start backing the sub output down which I attribute to the breaking in period. Now, I love it. It blends seamlessly with the mains. It doesn't extend as deep as some others, but it is dead on, to my ear, in reproduction in jazz and classical music. Personally, I find the velvet bag, the white gloves, and the cult of customer service at Aperion to be a little over the top - I'd prefer to have gotten the sound meter, but based on others comments, I appear to be a demographic anomaly. Great speaker. I recommend it highly.

Submitted by Russell_C a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was a little skeptical when I bought this unit but after it arrived in the beautiful velvet bag (neat touch) I thought hmm let's see what it can do. As others said it's grat with music but I purchased it for my home theater system. This little bugger delivers I had to make some adjustments to get it just right. Also the room I have it in has hardwood floors and the unit actually left the ground on some explosions in Blackhawk Down. I took a small wooden box and filled it with #8 lead shot and used some mastik to attach it to the sub and now it is perfect. I think it does as a good a job on movies as it does on music. Plus it is built like a tank, I like the fact that it has a removable power cord.

My system
Integra 5.3 AV Receiver
JVC SA70BK DVD Player
Whatmough Audiolabs Magnum Series Home Cinema Speaker System
Mitsubishi WT-42311 HDTV
Kimber,Esoteric Audio, and Sonic Horizon Cables

Submitted by mc a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a beautiful little sub that is perfect for any apartment or small room. I have only had it for about a week in my dorm, but I have played it for hours and I love it. It packs a good punch for music and still sounds huge for movies. The bass is different from what I am used to. It has a punch to it, and although its loud it doesn't hurt your ears. Its only a cubic foot and has monsterous sound, I have the vol turned up halfway and set at around 95Hz. Perfect for my yamaha micro system. I bought it because it is so small, has such good reviews here, and if I didn't like it there is a 30 day satisfaction return and aperion pays shipping. Also, I got it A stock and its in perfect condition. Anyone on a budget wait to find one A stock and its 100 bucks less and still perfect. Great people at Aperion who give same service even for buying A stock.

Submitted by Mark Walker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful sub. I was impressed from the first....beautifully made, excellent sound.

Then, suddenly, the woofers broke in, and OH MY GOD it kicks butt! I had a friend over to watch a movie, and he said 'my sub won't do that!'

It is dynamic, and powerful, and unnoticeable until it is needed. I hate to have it behind my tv, because it LOOKS so good, but that is where it sounds best.

Purchased At:   aperionaudio.com

Submitted by Mark Walker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just recieved it yesterday. As with all the other comments, a beautiful finish....looks better than most any other I've seen.

I am still working on placement......but music is great (we heard bass notes never noticed before on Tab Benoit's "Nice and Warm" cd.

Movie wise, it did not shake the earth....yet. As I said, I need to properly place it. Still, a very nice bottom end I did not have before. There is no question this has to be one of the best values out there. I'll be trying their other speakers before long.

Purchased At:   Aperion Audio websit