Acoustic Research S12HO

Submitted by jake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2014

Bottom Line:
While this initially was a great sub for my listening needs, it soon (2 years) developed a 60Hz hum forcing me to shut off power when not using. Finally the amp board smoked/smelled of something odd and stopped working altogether (8 years). Very disappointing. Have replaced amp with Dayton Audio SPA250, may have to recone or replace speaker. Arrg.

Submitted by alan gibson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
i got a sho12 and reworked it, it has the 140 watt amp and i installed a new 400 watt polk audio 12 inch subwoofer inside and its awesome,the amp is rated at 4 ohms so its a monster, connected to a sony str-491 receiver and a pair of polk audio mains

Purchased At:   swap meet

Submitted by artolentino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I may be two years late to posting this, but who cares, anyway, I have this bad boy connected on my Yamaha HTR-5280 paired w/ Polk-Audio speakers & wired w/ Acoustic Research wire/subwoffer cables (a little bit cheaper than Monster but same quality & performance). I agree w/ most of the reviewers complaints regarding hums, the pops when you turn it off & the vibration if gets to low.... With some tweaking and alterations, I must say I will be keeping this bad boys for some time.... I recently replaced the plastic screws w/ steel ones (size is 1/4 x 1 1/4 coarse thread screws) added a rubber bumper w/ holes in the middle to reduce vibration, fellas, I tell you, a BIG improvement compared when those plastic screws where there, that is if you have hardwood floor. About the hums., it only happens occasionally, so it's pretty much tolerable... The popping, just leave it on, it shuts down automatically when not in use, not 100% shutdown though, just turn it off when you know you wont be using it for a while.... Lastly, the vibrations, there's a little bit left, but then again, tweak & do the alteration that I mentioned above, you'll be smiling like me....

Purchased At:   Soundcity.com

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Broke after a few days. Had it fixed, broke again. Had it fixed again. Hums. Cheap Speaker Level pin connectors. I would not recommend this Sub to anyone. I am looking to replace it as soon as I can. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Submitted by Milton a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I like it a lot, all my friends are impressed and has convinced them that a good sub is need in every HT. We watch ed Saving Private Ryan and the sub shined, worked perfected and rocked the room(felt like your on the beach, felt in your insides). Any sub that can pass Saving Private Ryan chapter two without a hitch, is pretty good. Not a bad price, and a nice company and name for a great price ($240).