ACI Titan II
Description: 12" high excursion subwoofer driver. 250 watt RMS internal amplifier. 20 - 250 Hz +,- 3 dB Crossover adjustable from 35 - 250 Hz. Protection circuit helps prevent over excursion.

Submitted by philh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have a high end CD system with Micromega T-Drive and T-DAC, Copland CSA28 semi-valve amp, and B&W CDM1SE shelf speakers. In the limited space we can afford in Notting Hill getting two bits of floorspace in symmetrical positions was impossible, so I got the CDM1's which for shelfies had passable bottom end, with some stuff happening down to 60Hz. Feeling that Bob Marley and Verdi were not quite being delivered with full gusto I asked the (rather purist hi-fi) shop where I bought the system about subs at the time, and they dissed the idea, saying there were no subs that could be added to this system without corrupting the hi-fi sound.

Well how wrong they are! I wasn't prepared to spend big bucks for a sub, but was prepared to take a flier on the Titan kit and sell it on if I wasnt happy (30day SOR from the US not being viable). I resized the dimensions to reduce the height and make a shorter, slightly broader Titan, and got a cabinet maker under the railway arches in Hammersmith to make up the pieces with proper joint cutters, and to glue it in a vacuum bag, so the cabinet arrived prebuilt and airtight. Assembly of the speaker and amp part of the kit is a one hour job, and then you have a builtup sub for a good price!

At first I did what the reviews point towards and carefully adjusted the filters until the sub "wasnt there". I was immediately stunned by the variation between different recordings. With some the sub is just a gentle opening of the fullness of the bottom end. Pianos get back their "box", acoustic double bass has its resonant chamber, electric bass notes dont fade and thin at the bottom end of the scales, the Who sounds totally different with solid excursions in the bass, and REM, which previously always sounded rubbish on the B&W's, is suddenly fun music again (being quite empty music it really needs the drive of the bass drum and bass punch). The bass drum is the most obvious alteration with a positive thump attaching seamlessly to the higher frequency skin slap. But on other recordings the sub bass is almost overblown, and flabby. I dont think thats the Titan, its just that some of my 60's 70's, and 80's recordings were probably not recorded with even sub energy in mind, and probably not all mixed on speakers that could reproduce what the Titan can. No big deal, I can either just switch the Titan off or turn it down a bit. And 90's music with strong sub in: Moby, Talvin Singh, Martin Grech (big recommend for his first album last year) just sounds stunning, it may be only an extra octave and a bit, but its like having 50% of range added to the hi-fi.

After a while I played with the settings and let the sub overlap the B&W's more. At present I actually have the filters starting at about 80Hz and 100Hz. That fills in the bass of the B&W's a bit more. I thought it would fight them, but the speaker is so close in tone to the warmth of the B&W kevlar drivers that it is just like a an addition of bottom end tone in the low bass. I thought I'ld leave it like that till I got fed up with the heaviness of the bass, but 4 weeks later I havent! Thats how clean the Titan is. I've tried other settings too, and they all sound great in different ways, and all match the existing system. So I can only agree with all the others and say this speaker will genuinely match into a hi end system.

Oh yeah, and for movies of course - bundle of fun. Just dig those star wars explosions and the Matrix soundtrack.

Only problem is that where the sub freqs get heard is position dependent. When set up for the listening position there are definitely stronger and weaker areas of sub in the room, and having only 3 choices for placement I cant do much about that, but its not a big problem, the same applies to treble freqs of course.

Only suggestion I would have for ACI is a 10dB cut button for those those recordings where the lowest freqs have been overrecorded, to save having to adjust the pots everytime.

Purchased At:   ACI website

Submitted by Tiny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm actually reviewing the new ACI Force sub. A subwoofer that uses the Titan II LE electronics in a package about 1/2 the size with a 10" woofer instead of 12". This site doesn't seem to update models very frequently or even model years, so it is really a 2002 model Force!
Anyway, as a long-time owner of the excellent T2LE, I'll sum up by saying that this sub sounds virtually identical for considerably less bucks. Put this under $800 sub up against RELs and the like that cost twice as much and we have a winner! If you want a compact, attractive, well built, musical, powerful sub for well under $1000, look no further. The fact that ACI has a 30 day money-back guarantee is a serious plus, you can try it yourself and judge. The fact that they also have a completely risk free warranty for the first year means if you have any problems at all, they'll even pay all shipping! See if anyone else offers this level of quality and support. ACI continues to rock!

Purchased At:   ACI Direct

Submitted by GreenHornet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I always knew that I needed a sub for my home theater. I've been
searching for the right one for a long time. Sure, there are all kinds
of subs out there to choose from, but either they cost too much, are
missing key features, sacrifice sound quality for quantity, or they
don't look good. The Titan II LE did it all for me -- great features,
great sound, reasonable cost, and a high spousal approval factor!

In my 5.1 setup, the mains run full range down to 23Hz, so I decided
to keep them on the "Large" setting on my Onkyo TX-DS 989 receiver.
But I set the center channel and the rears to "Small" to send the below
80Hz signal to the Titan II LE. You'll be amazed how much deep bass
is actually going on in those channels. It really did surprise me.

The improvement the Titan sub added to my system was amazing!
It seemed all out of proportion to its cost. Naturally the deep bass
was much better. But adding the sub improved the overall sound of
my system in unexpected ways as well. Like increased clarity in all
channels -- which led to a better soundstage, smoother and more
realistic pans, cleaner dialog, and a greater soundfield presence.

Couple of things to keep in mind though. Make sure that you take
the time to position the sub correctly for best performance. It can
make a big difference. And make sure that you also set the phase
correctly for your specific setup. This also can make a big difference.

I will tell you this. After being an audio/home theater enthusiast since
1995, I have gone through more equipment than I can count. No other
piece of equipment has brought me more satisfaction than the Titan
sub. It has done wonders for my home theater system.

ACI's Titan II LE sub was reviewed at www.hometheatersound.com
in November, 2001, and received a Reviewer's Choice Award from
reviewer John Potis. It was based on John's rave review that got me
to order the Titan sub. I already sent an e-mail to John about how
right he was. If you decide to try one out, I'll bet you want to let John
know how right he was as well.

The new version of the Titan II LE looks even better than the one
shown here. Just go to www.audioc.com and check it out. Then
you'll know why it gets such a high spousal approval factor - on
top of everything else it does so well!

Very highly recommended

Purchased At:   ACI

Submitted by Franklin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
It's simple. All the great stuff you hear about this one is right on. It plumbs the depths while sounding like it fits right into the rest of your system. I didn't think I'd get a sub that would hook up with my Mag 1.6s but this one does the trick. Bass that has the definition and character of the real thing. This is no over priced boom box. Cabinets are a work of art. ACI staff is helful and friendly. Only problems are that you aren't likely to find any deals on used ones.I waited for over 6 months trying to get a deal on a used one, they just don't show up for sale! Ordering a new one you probably will have to wait. I waited almost a month and half for my walnut LE. Having lived with it, I would have waited way longer and pair way more. Get it, be happy!

Purchased At:   Website

Submitted by Tim Ranger a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is THE sub to buy for music and HT setups where quality is as important or more important than pure quantity. IF you want seamless integration with your mains, this is the standard. The only other subs that come close are the Vandys, RELs and Aerials. The Vandys do a good job, but do not play as loudly, look nearly as good, or "hide" as well sonically. The more expensive REL like the Stadium plays at about the same level but costs well over twice as much. The REL also does not seem as agile. The Aerial is better, not by a lot, but it will play significantly louder. At four times as much it should!
Did I mention that the Titan II LE is a drop dead gorgeous piece of furniture? As a quality end table, it is almost like you're getting the sub for free!
I'd be willing to bet those two nutcases below never even heard the Titan II. I sent them both emails, surprise, surprise, no such address. I guess ACI must be scaring some people! Take those two nuts out and you have a perfect 5.00 rating. Think about it. If you're looking for a great sub, this is it.

Purchased At:   ACI